'99 XJ Heater core / Evaporator Swap - Quick ??'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '99 XJ Heater core / Evaporator Swap - Quick ??'s

Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
dday930
1999 XJ Cherokee 

'99 XJ Heater core / Evaporator Swap - Quick ??'s

I've done some research here on swapping out my heater core (getting fogged windows on interior with heat on real bad). When I remove the heater core, here are a few questions I have not been able to get answers to from other threads-

1- Passenger Airbag- Does the dash-mounted passenger airbag have to come out, or does this stay mounted in the upper dash, and this doesn't have to be removed? (I know wiring harnesses will most likely need to be unclipped, etc, and disco the battery before working on this... yeah... got that, but wanted to know if I had remove this airbag or not).

2- A/C Evaporator- While I have everything opened up and dash removed, I want to swap the evaporator core too (seen lots of comments about how they suck from the factory, and currently A/C doesn't work but did last month, so hoping to fix any possible leak with new evap core for cheap money)- Do this headache of a job only once. To completely remove the heater box from the firewall, I know I need to disconnect the heater core from the coolant lines, and the A/C lines from the evaporator- BUT, from what I gather as a semi-conscious human being, I need to get the A/C system property emptied as to reclaim the R132a legally before I crack open the A/C lines. No where have I heard anyone mention this step in any threads- Can someone validate this for me as well? I assume the evaporator has R132a in it, unless there is something I am missing and it's filled with magic or something else??

3- Once I button everything back up, is is possible for me to get the A/C system back in working order on my own with a rental of a vacuum pump, and a few cans of R132a, or does the pressurization process HAVE to be done with all the equipment at a service center?

Any other quick helpful comments appreciated to help make this crummy job any easier would be great!!

Thanks-

dday930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
ecsbabydaddy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You will need to discharge the a/c. How you choose to do that is up to you. You also do not need to remove the passenger side airbag. Disconnect the battery, and as you remove parts of the dash, you will eventually unplug the connectors for the airbag. I replaced my cores this past February. It took about 11 hours. No special tools, just remove the front seats and keep track of the screws. Pretty easy.
ecsbabydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dont waste your time trying to fill the A/C system yourself if you dont have the right equipment. Using cans from the auto parts store isnt a good way to recharge the system. If you dont have a set of A/C system pressure gauges and/or dont know how to read them, chances are you wont get the proper charge. Save yourself the headache and take it to a mechanic to recharge the A/C. If you want to test the system to make sure the leak is fixed and the compressor works as well as blows cold air, you could use one or more of those cans to put a small charge in just to make sure it everything works OK. I dont know how much freon comes in one of those cans, but youll want to put 1LBS of refridgerant into the system. That should be enough to get the compressor to cycle and not overcharge the system. If something doesnt work, atleast you didnt waste $100-$150 on a complete recharge.

Tags
evaporator , heater core , replace , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.