Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

99 xj 4.0 No brake lights!

777 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  getterdun 
#1 ·
To power to and after pedal switch and functions. I have parking, plate, and blinkers that are working. Does anyone have a good wiring diagram and or photos of others who have dealt with this issue? Thanks for you're help if you do

#2 ·
It's easy to pop those housings off. Check for voltage between the power and ground wires for the light itself (with a brick or something on the brake pedal) and then from the power wire to the body to see if the ground is bad.

It's pretty common to see a voltage drop, they used thin wiring, it's a long run and it's had most of two decades to degrade, 9 volts or better should be enough to run the lights. If you're not getting at least that, there's a problem.

#6 ·
No haven't been able to get to it this week due to work. I'm going to replace the cabin fuse panel and brake pedal switch with new ones this weekend and go from there. If that doesn't work it's getting hard wired to signal side of switch for now to have something.

#7 ·
Here is a wiring diagram I extracted (and annotated) for the brake lights on a 2000 XJ: . Maybe yours is the same.

Also, you should look at this posting as it shows how to remove the brake light switch: http://mrflash818.livejournal.com/114369.html

Since I suspect the brake light switch, I would test by first disconnecting its connector. Then I would connect a short wire between the PK/DB and the WT/TN wire terminals. If the brake lights turn on, then the problem is with the switch. If it seems mounted right, I'd remove the switch and replace it (I think they're too cheap to warrant repairing).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.