99 cherokee trans filter/screen ??? where do buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 cherokee trans filter/screen ??? where do buy

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 cherokee trans filter/screen ??? where do buy

ok i have a 99 cherokee classic 4.0L with the AW4 4 speed auto trans. I been running new fluid through and getting it all bright red again. I will soon be dropping it to replace the filter /screen. people say its a metal screen. the dealer wants $80 other parts stores want $20-40. if its metal can you just clean it with brakeclean or something? are aftermarket ones not as good as the factory one? what aftermarket ones are good ?

02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

can you had a cork or rubber gasket or have to seal it back up with RTV blue stuff ?
Unread 03-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
sjc619
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just changed mine, 98 SE, with the one from napa, it was about $50 but perfect fit and had a rubber gasket. The PO had tried the RTV route and aside from him striping the bolt holes by over tightening, the RTV did a pretty lousy job and it leaked all over. I would spend the money to get a new filter and new gasket.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50038+2038004
sjc619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Dbiked
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you dont even really need to change the filter/screan. . . All the contaminants stay in the fluid, the screan just keeps them from leaving the bottom pan. thats why there is a drain plug on the AW-4, unlike most other trannies out there. So just drain and fill.
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

for 138k my fluid looked like it was never changed or changed once. dark dark brown maybe black. since i did my rad job i was filling it up and starting it at idle and letting it pump out lower trans line that goes on lower rad. im 3/4 of the way there get it back to RED RED. its a red brown now . i dont have any problems with the trans dont think its leaking any where and i see orange silicone around the edges. i say to my self drain it again and fill it up but i want to know whats in there lol . clean the magnet and clean the filter. well the most important deal right now is doing the trans service on my grand cherokee 42re . fluid,filter, adjust bands, and add drain plug. i have a reuseable gasket on that one so that will be nice. can't figure out what drain plug to use....
Unread 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

About $25 at Advance Auto for new filter and gasket, IIRC.......plus dropping the pan gives u a chance to clean the inside, inspect the magnets, etc. The drain plug is what makes the pan drop so easy (once u get the tube separated). Old filter just unbolts, new one bolts up. If u don't change the filter, u'll always wonder. Very light film of RTV both sides of gasket and just snug (criss/cross pattern) on the pan bolts.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.