99 Cherokee Idle wants to stall. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 Cherokee Idle wants to stall.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
fernanernie
1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 Cherokee Idle wants to stall.

I am having a persistent issue with my 99 Cherokee (4.0L)

Regardless if the engine is warm or cold, rain or shine in gear or not the engine will start idling rough and want to kill for about a minute after 4 or so minutes of running. After that the idle will correct itself and be smooth.
It almost acts like it is not getting spark because if I try to give it a little gas I can hear what sounds like small back fire.

I had the engine checked for codes last October (none), since then I have run a couple of bottles of Lucas brand injector cleaner through it thinking dirty injectors. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and the problem still persists.
I was thinking a timing issue, but I would think that it would idle rough all the time if it was that.

I am no mechanic but if I take it apart, I can get it back together without extra pieces.

If anybody can point me in the right direction I would much appreciate the advice.

fernanernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the Jeep Forum......

I don't think this is a spark issue, and base timing is controlled by your computer; it is not adjustable.

First thing I would do if this were in my garage would be to hook up a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Watch the fuel pressure and see if it remains consistent when the symptom occurs.

For a 99, you should see 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi.

There certainly are other possibilities and this is a strange symptom, but consistent fuel delivery should be confirmed early in the troubleshooting process.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
fernanernie
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the very late reply but this problem is half fixed.

The dying on the side of the road issue is resolved (with a new fuel pump) but for some reason I still get the rough idle issue.

I need to replace the entire exaust (header back).
fernanernie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.