99 Cherokee...a good tow vehicle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 Cherokee...a good tow vehicle?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-30-2004, 10:23 PM   #1
Slammed_Am

99 Cherokee...a good tow vehicle?

I was thinking about using my 99 Cherokee as a tow vehicle to tote around my Grand Am (on a trailor) for going to some out of state car shows this year. Would the 4.0 and its drive line be up to it or is that asking a little too much for long distance, highway towing?

www.myspace.com/nuthinfancycc
Slammed_Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
OSU_XJ

naahhh. It'll be okay. Just make sure the trailer brakes are in good shape. Gas mileage will probablly suck but hey, watcha gonna do?
OSU_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
ZmOz

It will be just fine....just make sure you have a tranny cooler and good brakes. It won't get any worse gas mileage than any other tow vehicle...
ZmOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Do you have an auto tranny? if its manual you gonna have a tough time. And as they said, a tranny cooler would be a great addition if you don't already have one.

If its an auto, your gonna have to keep it in 3 alot, well at least I do. If you leave it in drive, the overdrive probably won't kick in and your rmps will be high, but if you need extra power or speed, 3 will go into overdrive and keepo the rpms down a little bit.

This is just what I've experienced when pulling 2 sleds, which wieghs in alittle over 1000+the trailer, so its not like pulling a car.

Some people also choose to run a heavier wieght fluid in the rear diff, and make sure your tranny fluid is lookin good. Te engine will be working pretty hard so an oil change before the drive might be a good idea too.
Unread 03-31-2004, 08:26 AM   #5
00Cherokee+98Z

a grand am is one thing...with a tranny cooler, new brakes and stuff, could a 4.0 tow a 3600 pound camaro plus trailer???

i've been really hesitant to try towing my car out to the track (bout 60 miles) because i didnt think the 4.0 had it in it...it sure would be nice to be able to launch the hell out of the car though and not have to worry about driving it home intact...
[COLOR=dimgray]B.S.M.C.C.E.P. CLUB Member #24 [/color]
00Cherokee+98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

What is the rating on your hitch, that is alot of weight and its going to be serios strain on the vehicle. Might be time to get a pickup truck or something
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:16 AM   #7
Slammed_Am

thanks for the replys guys. I don't have any of the towing equipment now, I'm just trying to take into consideration all aspects before I just went ahead and did it.
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
Slammed_Am

thanks for the replys guys. I don't have any of the towing equipment now, I'm just trying to take into consideration all aspects before I just went ahead and did it.

The Jeep is an auto trans and is all stock, no other power adders, no tranny cooler. Would I definately need a tranny cooler? I don't want to do any damage anything, but for the amount of trailoring I would be doing with it I don't know if it would be that necessary.
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
BeJay1981

In my opinion the Cherokee would work for your needs, but if your buying a vechile with that pulling purpose in mind, something bigger is what you want. But if you already have the cherokee and want to enlist it for towing duty, then it will work.

I haven't towed a car, but I have towed my familys inboard ski boat, i don't know the weight but it did tow it, it was laboring, but it towed it.

Also I pull my 3 seater jetski around all the time with no problems, but even that small amount of weight, maybe 800 lbs w/ tralier, causes me to need to drive in 3 up any hills or on the interstate if it gets hilly.

Anyways, ill stop babbling.
4 Hella 500's on the rack.
PowerTrax No-Slip
JKS quicker disconnects
Moabs w/ 31inch MTR's
BeJay1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:11 AM   #10
00Cherokee+98Z

i kind of figured a car was a bit much....

i like my jeep and im not planning on selling it for a gas guzzling 5.3 or 6.0L or something just to tow a damn car....

o well.....i guess i wont be bolting in the 150 hp nitrous kit anytime soon.....
[COLOR=dimgray]B.S.M.C.C.E.P. CLUB Member #24 [/color]
00Cherokee+98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:33 AM   #11
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Cherokee+98Z
i kind of figured a car was a bit much....

i like my jeep and im not planning on selling it for a gas guzzling 5.3 or 6.0L or something just to tow a damn car....

o well.....i guess i wont be bolting in the 150 hp nitrous kit anytime soon.....
Haha, you could always get a supercharger or turbo for that extra pulling power. I don't care how much people say thats ricey or whatever, a turbo charged Jeep would be awesome, especially to help spin the big tires on the highway. Nitrous might be a bit overkill though unless you doing hill climbs like those dune buggies that go up that volcanic ash. Those things are sweet
Unread 03-31-2004, 01:03 PM   #12
ZmOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed_Am
Would I definately need a tranny cooler?

Do not even think about towing without one.
Unread 03-31-2004, 01:37 PM   #13
MrAce

On the automatics, doesn't the radiator play a part in cooling the tranny?
Unread 03-31-2004, 01:40 PM   #14
ZmOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAce
On the automatics, doesn't the radiator play a part in cooling the tranny?
Yes, but it does a very poor job. A tranny cooler is a very good thing to have even if you don't tow. It will GREATLY increase the life of your transmission and the fluid.
Unread 03-31-2004, 01:55 PM   #15
MrAce

I wish I had known about that before I towed that loaded down u-haul through the mountains of Tennessee. What brand do you guys recommend? I saw a bunch on J.C. Whitney.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.