99 cherokee 2.5 lift install questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 cherokee 2.5 lift install questions

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 07-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
agear
1984 CJ7 

99 cherokee 2.5 lift install questions

Is installing a lift on a 99 cherokee the same as many other year xjs , and if so what years are the same ? Because I'm trying to read up on how to install a 2.5 rancho suspension lift on my friends xj and I want to be prepared for problems that have come up for people in the process of doing theirs. And problems that pop up after the installation of the lift. Anybody who is willing to give me their experiences doing this would be great. Thanks

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
clab0603
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hi I'm currently putting a lift on as well! I also had a 3" on my XJ before new one. My main suggestion to you is load up the bolts to remove with PB blaster. Most will be a bit fussy to come out but if you are careful then everything will go on smoothly! Also what does kit contain?
clab0603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clab0603 View Post
Hi I'm currently putting a lift on as well! I also had a 3" on my XJ before new one. My main suggestion to you is load up the bolts to remove with PB blaster. Most will be a bit fussy to come out but if you are careful then everything will go on smoothly! Also what does kit contain?
Hi.Okay will do.
Don't know what s in the kit yet. But when I find out I'll post it.
Keep the information coming.
thanx
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
Is installing a lift on a 99 cherokee the same as many other year xjs , and if so what years are the same ?
It's basically all the same regardless of year. Its either stiffer/longer coil springs or spacers for the front and bigger curved springs/more springs/longer shackle/block in the back.
the_weirdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
agear
1984 CJ7 

Okay. What are the difficulties one runs into during installation on these xjs ?
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
agear
1984 CJ7 

Bump
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weirdo View Post
It's basically all the same regardless of year. Its either stiffer/longer coil springs or spacers for the front and bigger curved springs/more springs/longer shackle/block in the back.
Quote:
Okay. What are the difficulties one runs into during installation on these xjs ?
You got an answer. Its identical equipment to what is already installed, just bigger, stiffer, stronger, etc.

You have a lifted CJ... you should know what to expect. Rust, seized bolts, stubborn leafs.

Bring beer.

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
What are the difficulties one runs into during installation on these xjs ?
Leaf pack front bolts are stubborn (seize to the bushings; weldnut inside the frame may break loose), same goes for shackle upper bolt. If it's a vehicle from the south I wouldn't much worry.

If it's from the salt belt, bring a case of beer, have an angle grinder with cut-off wheels, and new mounting bolts for the leaf packs/ shackle and LCAs (if going to install aftermarket arms). Bolt size is ~110mm long, 14mm x 2.0 thread pitch; class 10.9 (do NOT get class 8.8!!!), or Grade 8. New U-bolts aren't a bad idea either if the lift kit doesn't have 'em. LCA and UCA bolts can be cut fairly easily, they tend to get stuck inside the bushings and I really see no reasons why anyone would like to use the 12+ years old hardware again..

All LCA and UCA bolts and shackle lower bolts can be replaced with SAE hardware (9/16" grade 8 for the LCAs/ shackle lower, 3/8" Grade 8 for the UCAs), but leaf front bolt and shackle upper bolt needs to be metric.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.