99 4.0 xj starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 4.0 xj starting issues

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
heekin56
1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 4.0 xj starting issues

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. My jeep will crank over but it wont start until I've cranked it for the 5th to 10th time and then it starts just fine. Some days it starts right up and others it will just crank over and sometimes when I crank it over it will start and stall a couple of times and then I just give it some gas to get it going.

ALL of my relays were replaced within the last year and they don't look burnt, and I have not replaced any fuses. I was getting the check engine light about two months ago for a throttle position sensor but that magically disappeared.

Could this be caused by a bad CPS? or less likely a bad fuel pump?

heekin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
heekin56
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Can anyone help?
heekin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

See my post, I'm having similar issues. Did you check fuel and spark?
Fuel should gush from the Shrader valve.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Start with the basics and most inexpensive . BUy a can of combustion chamber cleaner , and a throttle body gasket . Remove and clean TB , also , remove the IAC (Idle air controller) from the TB . Don't play with it , just an old toothbrush and scrub it with the cleaner . Disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour during the process . The PCM will need to re-learn a few things but will act normal in short time . Better instructions with pics http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-valve-756934/

When your pcm says you have and issue , you do . OP , test the TPS . If replacing , use mopar parts

Other slow start causes are fuel pumps , poor ignition parts (coil , plugs , cap and rotor), poor compression
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
freebird_78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Having a similar issue, just not as bad. I have new or nearly new ignition parts, clean TB, etc. Friend of mine with several XJs says it's the fuel pressure regulator on top of the fuel hat.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51304_0003.htm
freebird_78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.