98 XJ speaker issue. Any Ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 XJ speaker issue. Any Ideas?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Silas09
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 XJ speaker issue. Any Ideas?

I have a 1998 Jeep cherokee. All of my speakers work except my drivers side speaker that is in the door panel. I removed the speaker and tested it and it does work. Any ideas? Is it the radio or the wiring?

Silas09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
lawsonr71
2007 WK 

Broken Wires

Silas09,

I had the same issue with my 01 when I purchased it 5 years ago. The problem is the wiring harness runs throught a rubber boot from the body to the door and attaches to the speaker. The area where the wires run through the boot is the problem. On my XJ there was a junction for the speaker wires in the boot and due to opening and closing the door the wires naturally broke. I spliced the wires back together and no issues. Hope this helps.
lawsonr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I also reconnected the speaker wire in the door but that only worked for about a 3 months before it disconnected again. running new wire is best and really isn't hard.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having this same issue.

It was working intermittently, sometimes needing the door opened & closed to work. Now it's just dead, and I was thinking the wire inside it's sheath is broken.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.