98 XJ lost power on mountain, very odd... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 XJ lost power on mountain, very odd...

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineArtec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 06-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
dmm219

98 XJ lost power on mountain, very odd...

I was driving my 98 XJ over some mountains in Wva a couple of weeks ago...at one point, the Jeep really lost power. It would down shift, but even after downshifting, it seemed to be really tired. Usually on any hill, the XJ is really pretty perky, especially when it downshifts.

At the top of the mountain, I pulled over...checked everything out. Nothing was leaking, no dummy lights, nothing was smoking, no smells. I could not find anything wrong. After a couple of minutes, we decided not to risk it and returned the way we came...(being Wva, everything is a mountain)...the problem seemed to disappear entirely on the way home and I haven't had it since.

But I'm a little worried about taking it over the mountains now...any ideas?

dmm219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
1984XJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How many mileS? mine has 255 and doesnt even hesitate over Big Hills
_(o)_)____(o)_)--o)_)

Daily Driver Jeep #16
Utah Jeep'n
1984XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
dmm219

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984XJ View Post
How many mileS? mine has 255 and doesnt even hesitate over Big Hills
pushing 160k, never towed a day in its life...little worried it might be a tranny issue..
Unread 06-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Thinner air. I bet you felt tired then rejuvenated.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
XJH-007

Have you ever taken it to the mountains?? And specifically on that road??

Colorado mountains will kick ya down to 1st on the highway on a regular basis....so this sounds normal to me.....

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJH-007 View Post

Colorado mountains will kick ya down to 1st on the highway on a regular basis....so this sounds normal to me.....

I have driven through West Virginia (I assume thats what Wva is) in my xj no problem 2.5 weeks ago. The Rockies are much higher than the Appalachians, which are less than 6000 feet just about everywhere. I wouldn't think it would be the air. No ideas though, unless your tank was low and on an incline it didn't get enough fuel or something (i don't know where the pickup is in the tank though)
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
dmm219

hmm...we have drove the Jeep over these mountains many times...this is first time it felt like it was really losing power. It's hard to say since I can't get it to do it again. There are no mountains where I live to test it on. (In Laws live in Wva).

Don't think it was the height of the mountains, but the steep slope (there are back mountain roads and they are very steep).
Unread 06-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
tjjeepwrench978
1997 XJ Cherokee 

pluged junk cat shifting back when it does it restricts, or junk clogged
fuel filter sock under the pummp
tjjeepwrench978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJH-007 View Post

i have never had any problems going through the colorado mountains, 7% on Eisenhower and i went up the whole way doing 70 i was quite proud of that, where did you drive to have it go into first?
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
stoneytj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

did you go over rt 33 into wva, or rt 70 thru maryland? i know mount negro(actual name no lie, means black in spanish) thru the cumberland gap is up there in height, but i dont think it should cause the engine to stall out/lose power. i was wheeling in harrisonburg last weekend and had no issues going up rt33 and meadow knob trail(4,ooo some odd feet). hell i even had my ac on and was running cooler and better then most of the other rigs in our group.

build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...1/#post8930381
stoneytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think that it is probably something to do with the angle, not the elevation. As I stated earlier, the Appalachians are fairly low mountains, with the highest point being like 6600 ft or something. I suggested maybe it was the gas shifting and running on fumes, which would rob power. I seriously doubt that elevation, pressure, and air density would have anything to do with it, given the circumstances.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.