98 XJ Frame Upgrade Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 XJ Frame Upgrade Questions

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
whodatXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 XJ Frame Upgrade Questions

I have a 4-door 98 XJ w/ HO 4.0L that's in some serious need of some frame work:
- There are cracks in the driver side frame rail fore and aft of where the upper track bar mount is attached.
- And apparently, yesterday, when I was getting my heep (and all the mechanical work I've done on it) inspected at the local dealership, the steering box ripped completely off the rail as they were moving it around the parking lot.

I have been planning (needing) to do these upgrades for a while. But, as she often does, the heep has decided to make her own schedule. So, time to pull the trigger:
- I've been eyeing a full set of the H.D. Offroad Engineering Frame Stiffeners on the outboard sides of both driver's & passenger's side frame rails in combination with the JKS Mfg. Steering Brace System on the inboard sides of each rail on the front.
- I want to utilize both systems together because the frame cracks are not just on one side of the rail. In order to restore their structural integrity, the bolt-through/plate-on-both sides arrangement of the JKS Mfg. System is required.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: As currently offered, the JKS System would no extend far enough back down the frame rail to effectively "sandwich" the portion by the Upper Track Bar Mount where the cracks are located.

Are there any suggestions, ideas, etc. as to how I should pursue this?
Should I be thinking of something else entirely?

Thanks for the help!

ps - I will post pics of this issue as soon as I can get access to the heep.

whodatXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

get some steel plate and cut it to fit the area and weld in place
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
whodatXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm good with that for sure. But that would also require additional bolted/weld-through rods that tie the plates on each side together through the rail.

I guess I'm askin/lookin for is if there are pre-fab products similar to the JKS System that extend further back down the rail out there? Or, if anyone knows where to acquire the additional required hardware, if I did decide to go the custom fab route.

I'm going to call JKS Mfg. and see what they have to say about it as well.

Also, any general wisdom regarding this undertaking is welcome as well.
whodatXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Take some cardboard, and mock up a rough pattern of what an extended piece would look like...
then fab your own out of 3/16" steel.... cut/drill/weld.... your done. if bends are needed, heat up the plate real good with a torch and start reefing/banging away...
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Starboard M

Its not a bolt on affair, and I dont think anyone would make one.

I had the same problems. Tried a couple different fixes, all broke. Fixed it the last time, no issues.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.ph...t=winch+bumper

Give you a taste of what your looking at

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
mp15dc
1989 XJ Cherokee 

TMR has front side plates, but you still have drill your own holes.
http://www.temper-mentalracing.com/T..._Services.html
Also TnT has middle chassis reinforcement plates.
www.tntcustoms.com
mp15dc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cracked frame , steering , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.