98 XJ Clunking problems when turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 XJ Clunking problems when turning

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
98ia-xj
2005 KJ Liberty 

98 XJ Clunking problems when turning

Hey guys I am not at all mechanically inclined here, but I am trying to become...I have a question and would love to hear some ideas before i take it to a shop.

I have a 98 XJ, with what I was told was a HP D30 in the front, SYE, and Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. The rear i know is the 8.25, the SYE, dont know how to tell, and the other, of course not totally sure.....anyways, I was told awhile back that I a front Driverside Ujoint going out cause of a popping noise when on a trail one day. Multiple ppl agreed it was bad. Well I took it too a shop and they replaced, it was bad. However, I am still getting a clunking noise almost anytime i turn left. If I turn really fast and hard, i hear it. If i turn slow, i hear it. Sometimes when I go over bumps in the road I hear it. Most of the time its turning I hear it. After the Ujoint being swapped out, it almost sounds and FEELS, yes I can feel something in the steering wheel now, its coming from the center front of the Jeep.

Also, on a new area I have problems with. When I come to a complete spot if I dont slow down really slow, there is a clunk and a "nudge" feeling coming from the rear. I was told rear driveshaft Ujoint. The shop it was at yesterday told me it was solid as can be, but there was a noise coming from the T-case.......any ideas on that one?

Thanks for any advice guys...

Unread 04-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If the driver side u-joint was bad don't you think the passenger side is probably bad too? Lol

What I mean is, are you sure it's coming from the driver side? If it is then I would say it's prolly sway bar bushings. While you're under there take a look at everything and make sure all the nuts are tight. And look at the ball joints and tie rod ends and make sure they're good. I don't think those will cause your clunking but it doesn't hurt to look!

Let us know what you find :-)
Unread 04-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
98ia-xj
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer43783 View Post
If the driver side u-joint was bad don't you think the passenger side is probably bad too? Lol

Let us know what you find :-)
The shop it was at only said the one was bad....i will have to check the other things.....reading some other post i was thinking maybe--steering box, tierod, or ball joint?
Unread 04-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

i would check your tie rod ends, mine were bad and caused a clunk/popping when turning. if the bushings look split that is what was causing my issues
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
i would check your tie rod ends, mine were bad and caused a clunk/popping when turning. if the bushings look split that is what was causing my issues
how much of a job is it to replace the TREs? i have the same popping in my 95. TREs seem like a good (and cheap) place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.