98 XJ Check gauges light and 9 volts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 XJ Check gauges light and 9 volts

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
98XJinME
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 XJ Check gauges light and 9 volts

Once again, looking to the ultimate source for help here. Yesterday, I started my Cherokee and within a minute, it was at 9 on the IP voltmeter, and the Check Gauges light came on. As I let it run, the needle came back up. I left this morning to drive home to Maine, and about 160 miles into the trip, the voltmeter needle dipped to 9 and the CG light was on again. I stopped for gas, and it was normal again. Then the dip. Stopped for coffee, looked around under the hood (had no tools, as i had the kids and their Christmas gifts in the back), so as long as nothing obvious was wrong, I would keep driving. The needle dropped again, the CG light came on, and remained on for the last 140 miles or so, even with the headlights on. I am leaning towards the alternator starting to go out, but it did make it home. The lights were dimmer, but still on. If there was 0 charge, I doubt I would have gotten that far. The battery is almost 2 years old. And I have had some loud squealing on cold starts, which I thought was the belt, but might have been the pulley bearings. Any and all thoughts are appreciated, as always.

Unread 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say alternator. My friend's Ranger did the same thing about a week ago. His lights were so dim you could barely see them. Turns out he was running soley on battery power. I'd go for the Autozone remanufactured alternator with a lifetime warranty. I have one in my Jeep and its been good so far.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
98XJinME
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks!! I'm going to go either AZ or Napa, depending on who has it in stock. Looks like a fairly straightforward swap out. Do they come with the pulley, or do I need to buy that also? Just curious
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Autozone had mine in stock and it came with the pulley.

Edit: I'd also take out the battery and battery box. Made taking out the alt so much easier by just lifting it up through there.

Build Thread:
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
UboatCmdr
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If i were you i would do the ghetto method of checking your alternator.

Take a multimeter and measure the voltage at the battery with the ignition off, Start it and compare the numbers. should be about 14 while running.
Or Start the vehicle and disconnect the battery, If the vehicle dies you have alternator issues. I have heard rumors of dont drive like this or keep the batter disconnected for extended periods of time as it isnt good for the alternators voltage regulator
UboatCmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UboatCmdr View Post
.....Start the vehicle and disconnect the battery.......
NEVER DO THIS on a modern vehicle with an OBD computer.

Any auto parts store will test your alternator and battery for free.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
UboatCmdr
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How so? I haven't done it on my jeep but have on many friends early 90's BMWs and imports?

The multimeter test should prove the same result though.
UboatCmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
mosh-n-roll
2009 JK Wrangler 

Alternator swap is very easy. I put one in my jeep when I got it cause the one that was in there was seized. As far as your check gauges light, I have the same issue. I have a new alternator and a new battery as well. I did notice the only time my check gauges light comes on and the voltage drops off is when it is wet out, whether its raining or something as little as the road being wet from melting snow. It seems to have no effect on the Jeep at all. At least nothing I've noticed...I'm curious what it is..

Sold - 98 4 door XJ, 4.0, AX15, 8.25 w/ Aussie, HP-D30 w/Aussie, 4" IRO lift, custom front bumper, 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB's.
mosh-n-roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mosh-n-roll: your belt is probably not tight enough. Mine did the same thing when the belt was loose. The 4.0 belt has to be extremely tight. 190lbs new and 170lbs after being run 15 minutes.

Build Thread:

Tags
98 xj , alternator issue , check guages light , electrical problem , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.