98 XJ Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 XJ Build

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #91
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwalden
how do you like the twin tube shocks?
o sorry man i never saw ur post. I love em. They're real stiff. I don't know if most people would like that, but to me it feels much sturdier on the road. Especially becuase i have no rear sway bar. I'm curious to see what the hype is about with OME though...

Anyway, just a little update after i took care a few tiny eye sores..

-I finally replaced the missing fender flare. Painted it to match the rest.
-all black decals
-I filed down the threads on the stubby antenna a little bit to get rid of the gap between the connections
-drilled my license plate into the bumper rather than it hangin down
-matched the tint to the rear (if i havent posted that already)
-added some horsepower to the rear windows

and i put the ski rack up for the winter, too bad i was wearing shorts and flip flops today...NOVAs weather is crazy. It was 70 today, and their calling for snow showers on monday

and i can't remember if i posted, but i got a Reese hatch a while back

I wanna find some black "Jeep" emblems.

and I can't decided whether i wanna get a roof rack or not. I'm really gay about keeping a clean look, and worried about the finished product.

*mods i dont know if you can edit the pics i put up, but if you can, black out my license plate

Past: '98 XJ Sport
Higgs98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #92
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

I forgot to mention, I got a BigOffroad.com highlight wiring harness. Best 60 bucks you could spend. FitchVA made one himself and it supposedly works great too, but I was plesantly suprised by the convienence of this harness. The lighting difference from stock is like night and day.

Lighting Setup

-SS headlights with BigOffroad wiring harness
-fogs in stock location with matching SS bulbs

All will cost you only about 100 bucks and i can actually see stuff now

Unread 01-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #93
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

geez I just remembered this one too. I installed a hood lift setup. I got it in that JF group buy we had going from Redling Tuning. The installation went incredibly smooth and everything was spelled out. The only thing i didnt like was that i had to buy a rivet gun, which i didnt think had to be necessary.

excuse my sick ***, i had the flu at the time

Unread 01-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #94
TreadLightly87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

man the jeep looks good and you have a few good ideas that i have to copy like the leds and the head lights wiring harness but i have a question on the leds, i want to get the guage cluster, 4x4 lever, climate control and shifter do you have numbers for these also what did you use to paint the needles on the guage cluster thanks
TreadLightly87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #95
black2door
Web Wheeler

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin good man. Those headlights are awesome. I want some.

1994 Black XJ 2 door - 4.0 - Auto - Making a wheelin rig
Beefy steering - 33" Bighorns - 3" bastard lift - Welded rear

black2door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #96
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Higgs ftw!!
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #97
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

the lnik to my LED write up is in my sig.

Unread 01-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #98
SS 414
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs98XJ
I forgot to mention, I got a BigOffroad.com highlight wiring harness. Best 60 bucks you could spend. FitchVA made one himself and it supposedly works great too, but I was plesantly suprised by the convienence of this harness. The lighting difference from stock is like night and day.
Damn!! That's bright. I decided to stop being lazy and start ordering the LEDs.
Unread 02-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #99
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

wow i havent posted in a while. I guess i never said anything about the fender bender i got in.

My dumb *** was waiting to turn right on a highway with someone in front of me. There was a big gap in traffic, big enough for both of us to go, when the little old lady in front of me moved forward, I assumed she had gone and i looked at traffic on more time while i went. Well i hit that little old lady when she decided not to go after all. It was totally my fault and i felt really stupid, but luckily the lady was calm even though i trucked the whole rear end of her Lincoln Continental and the cop gave me a warning for not paying full attention.

Barely anything happened to the jeep, but i did do quite a number on hers. Here's the carnage...

It was really easy to fix it to the point where it didnt bother me. I just bent the fender back into position and moved the bumper forward. Not perfect but close enough for me.

Unread 02-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #100
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Since that one fog light was KIA, i got some replacements on Ebay. I like them because they are a clear lensed FOG rather than driving light and it has the factory bracket for a good fit. They're basically a legit version (from Tiawan haha) of the poobuckets i made myself.

First I took out the bulbs and swapped in my Silverstars to match the headlights.

Then I got rid of the OEM hook ups because I dont have the stock fog wiring and didnt feel like paying for it. I rewired everything with different connectors by soldering, shrink wrapping, and insulating with fire retardant. The lights are actually sealed, I have a better ground setup, and all live wire is protected from water.

I was pretty disappointed to find that since the bumper was slightly bent underneath the plastic of the end cap, the mounting location for the fog is off. I'll have to heat up the bumper and bend it into place, but here is how it looks right now. All the wiring is neatly zip tied and out of sight.

you can see i still havent taken out the duct tape that held the old wires haha

Unread 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #101
geewally9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I love all your mods. If I had the time and know how I would love to do these mods.
geewally9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #102
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

All done. I had to use some elbow grease to get the bumper in a bearable spot for the pass fog light. It's not %100 striaght but i dont care enough to tweak it even more than i already have. These new ones are a perfect white. They match the headlights exactly.

Here's a comparison of the regular halogen the company give me and the SS bulbs. Left is SS, right is stock. I hadn't aimed the lights at this point so the beams are facing in different directions, but you can still notice that the SS bulbs are a much whiter, crisper light.

and the result..

the only thing i dont like about them is, they send light much more forward like a flashlight than sideways. Even still, aimed correctly, they do the trick. I'll have to get some pictures in a big empty parking lot to see what they really look like.

Unread 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #103
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thats one tight jeep man! From the white lettered BFG's and black rims, backspacing, to the fogs, its all done to taste.

Good Job man!

88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #104
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Havent posted in a long time. Havent really done anything to the jeep, hasnt needed it. The thing is running so well. I just did a little bit of a tune up. Oil change, new pads, rotors, and calipers in the front, didnt wanna deal with the shoes in the back haha.

I need a new steering wheel though...

I AM actually starting a TJ project though. A friends mom just bought an 05 TJ X and wants me to hook it up. She gave two or three guildlines and said im free to do what ever i want as long as i follow em (and shes picking up the bill!). I gave her a few different price options for lift etc. She was all for the gold.

We're gonna start off with...

-2.5" OME lift
-Rubi wheels
-32" BGF A/t's
-wheel spacers
-lights
-aannd an ipod hook up, maybe some speakers.

That should have her pretty set up for her beach trips near their weekend house in Ocean City for the time being. Maybe later we'll get some Hanson or Warn front and rear bumpers.

Last edited by Higgs98XJ; 04-28-2008 at 05:31 PM..
Unread 04-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #105
mavrick480
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You have basically the same jeep that i do except i have the manual trans version... I think yours look much better than mine. I'm totally jealous of your rear defrost scarping windows in the winter sucks.
mavrick480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.