98 XJ Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 XJ Build

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #61
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

haha took me all night. I didnt mess up the mount, just broke the old bolts inside it, had to drill and re-tap.

Past: '98 XJ Sport
Higgs98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #62
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

new fog lights! A friend dug out some old stock ones of his, and handed em over for free. The glass was fogged over and bulb was old, but you can't argue with the way they fit. So i went to advanced and picked up some $17 fogs, took the lenses and reflectors out and slipped them into the old stocker's casings. All it took was some messing around and occasional duct tape. They fit perfectly and are BRIGHT.

without fogs

with fogs

Unread 09-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #63
wokkerk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

nice setup....do you know what brand the fogs are?

2000xj Freedom Edition "Stormtrooper"
wokkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #64
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

aahh cant remember. I threw away the packaging. They are the $17 square ones (not BAJA) from Advanced.

Unread 10-21-2007, 11:15 PM   #65
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Due to the halfa$$ed construction of my original fogs, they got wet and blew out. So i re-built them, the right way this time

combination of stock fog casings, SS bulbs, a lot of silicon, and hardware from $17 AAP lights.

Unread 10-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #66
JAYSXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I noticed that your fog light switch is an advance item as well. Did you have the factory wiring already and just need a new switch? That is what I was thinking of doing. My switch doesn't light up, but it may be a bad ground on the lights. Did you replace the lights in the defrost and wiper or is that the original lighting? If you replaced them what was the bulb? By the way your jeep looks great. Thanks.

__I I __ I I__.o00o.
//___//__//__,\_____\,____
l__---l___l___l----[] lllllllllll []
._( 0 ) )______( 0 ) )--o-)_)
JAYSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #67
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYSXJ
I noticed that your fog light switch is an advance item as well. Did you have the factory wiring already and just need a new switch? That is what I was thinking of doing. My switch doesn't light up, but it may be a bad ground on the lights. Did you replace the lights in the defrost and wiper or is that the original lighting? If you replaced them what was the bulb? By the way your jeep looks great. Thanks.
No, i did not have fog lights from the factory. All the wiring is from the light kit i bought from advanced. I just didntlike the switch that came with the kit. I would rather have the stock switch but didnt feel like paying for it.

Ya i threw an LED into the defrost but not the wiper. I didnt plan on putting any in either but had an extra type-a neo wedge LED; just screws into the top of the switch.

Unread 10-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #68
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

thats exactly where i put my fog light switch, it looks factory

nice buildup so far, good lookin XJ
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #69
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn
thats exactly where i put my fog light switch, it looks factory

nice buildup so far, good lookin XJ
thanks! its nice hearing that coming from you. I dont know if u remember me saying i was gonna start out by modeling mine after yours when i was still stock.

Unread 10-24-2007, 05:02 AM   #70
NWilkinson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hi I'm relatively new to this site and new to Jeeps... ok ok ok get the total noobness out of the way

I'm not new to working on cars.. I've done quite a bit of rebuilds, but the problem is they're all on rice rockets and the occasional pony car... but I'm new to Jeeps...

I just purchased a 1998 Cherokee Sport 4x4, very much like yours Higgs, just a different color.. and I really like your set up.. I think I'm going to try to do a bit of what you did...

My question is.. what are your opinions now on your suspension set up.. just the 3.5" SuperFlex?

My plans on my XJ are simple, I'm not a hard core off roader.. I just want something that can handle the few trails on my island.. my XJ is totally stock right now but at first, I'm just going to work on the electrical system (something drains my battery), replace my front brake discs and pads, install steel-braded lines, and replace my rear shoes.. install a lift, and then get the same times, BFG's All-Terrain.. but I'm just looking at what lift kit to do right now, so any feedback is more than welcome
NWilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #71
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWilkinson
Hi I'm relatively new to this site and new to Jeeps... ok ok ok get the total noobness out of the way

I'm not new to working on cars.. I've done quite a bit of rebuilds, but the problem is they're all on rice rockets and the occasional pony car... but I'm new to Jeeps...

I just purchased a 1998 Cherokee Sport 4x4, very much like yours Higgs, just a different color.. and I really like your set up.. I think I'm going to try to do a bit of what you did...

My question is.. what are your opinions now on your suspension set up.. just the 3.5" SuperFlex?

My plans on my XJ are simple, I'm not a hard core off roader.. I just want something that can handle the few trails on my island.. my XJ is totally stock right now but at first, I'm just going to work on the electrical system (something drains my battery), replace my front brake discs and pads, install steel-braded lines, and replace my rear shoes.. install a lift, and then get the same times, BFG's All-Terrain.. but I'm just looking at what lift kit to do right now, so any feedback is more than welcome
thanks for the compliments. Sounds like your off to a good start just fixing it up. Hold off on the braided brake lines until you lift, you'll need longer ones. If you get the 3.5" superflex, it comes with extended brake lines.

I love my superflex. It has a great stance and tight feel on the road. I ordered it with full rear leafs and twin tube shocks (get that) for like 800 something shipped from DC4WD. If it sounds expensive, you need to rememeber that this kit comes with many more necessary parts as compared to other kits. It comes with pretty much everything you'll need for the lift at once, its incredibly complete.

After the lift is done, you may need a few things too fix some kinks. An adjustable track bar will re-center the axle underneath your truck and take the pull and uneven tire wear away. Then an SYE will fix the driveline vibrations.

its mad dank, hook it up

Unread 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #72
NWilkinson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ah I was looking at RE's website yesterday I guess I didn't read good enough to see that it came with brake lines :P

I priced it to be about 2000 total, I gotta make sure RE can ship to P.O. boxes.. maybe I'll have to get them shipped to my hanger instead...

I haven't taken delivery of the car yet it's being prepped to be shipped to me by boat (just paperwork)..

I also like the way you replaced your dash lights, console lights, and overhead lights.. are those LED's just plug in replacement bulbs or is there soldering involved?
Unread 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #73
Higgs98XJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWilkinson
Ah I was looking at RE's website yesterday I guess I didn't read good enough to see that it came with brake lines :P

I priced it to be about 2000 total, I gotta make sure RE can ship to P.O. boxes.. maybe I'll have to get them shipped to my hanger instead...

I haven't taken delivery of the car yet it's being prepped to be shipped to me by boat (just paperwork)..

I also like the way you replaced your dash lights, console lights, and overhead lights.. are those LED's just plug in replacement bulbs or is there soldering involved?
plug in replacements for the blubs

$2000? did u get a pound of weed with that suspension?

Unread 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #74
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs98XJ
thanks! its nice hearing that coming from you. I dont know if u remember me saying i was gonna start out by modeling mine after yours when i was still stock.

thanks, i think both of our XJs have turned out well...lol

whats next for it??
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #75
NWilkinson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

HAHA well it was 1900 with the monotube Rubicon struts.. I'm just not looking forward to the shipping price to my island

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.