98 xj blowing hot air when a/c is on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 xj blowing hot air when a/c is on

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 xj blowing hot air when a/c is on

I'm fairly mechanical savvy, but hvac units are not my cup of tea. My XJ's heat isn't the best in the world, but it will keep you warm... however, so will the A/C. I put one of them DIY freon cans on it and it says it's full, however my belt will start squeaking as when the compressor kicks on and the pressure drops. I'm scared to add anymore b/c it'll carry it into the red on the pressure gauge on the filler bottle. Even when its 35 degrees out the A/C blows hot air, not even the fan or anything will blow remotely cool air. spring is coming up, and i need some a/c .

my only guesses are it's actually low on refridgerant, evaporator is shot, the compressor is toast, or the duct isn't opening/closing from the heat position, im not sure if its like my caliber srt-4, but it runs off a throttle cable type knob for the damper adjustment. seems these are vacuum oriented or something on the xj?

Any ideas?

Unread 02-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

bump for some daytime exposure
Unread 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do u have the temp selector (knob on the right) turned to cold? The heated air is way stronger than the cooled air.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

First off, just adding a can of refrigerant on "general priniciples" is NOT a good idea on an R134a system. It was not a bad plan in the old R12 systems, but the R134a systems have a VERY fine line between the right amount of refrigerant, and too MUCH refrigerant.

Owing to this, it's is always best to start with an EMPTY system (evacuated, of course), and refill BY WEIGHT the specified amount.

Next thing is you need to use a REAL refrigerant charging manifold that measures both low and high side pressures. Then you also need a temperature/pressure chart to know what the correct values are once the system is filled and you have measured the ambient air.

Come back with that data, and we can help you figure out what is REALLY wrong with your AC.

BTW, the suggestion from "djb383" is not a bad start.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lol. i dont typically run the a/c with the temp knob on hot? yes, it was turned on cool, still blowing out hot air just like the heat was on. theres no difference where the temp (cold-hot) was located or where the feet/head/defrost was selected even on a/c. the temp is just hot.

ill carry it somewhere so they can vac it and recharge it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.