98 XJ 4.0 Starting Issue... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 XJ 4.0 Starting Issue...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
rustedxj
2007 JK Wrangler 

98 XJ 4.0 Starting Issue...

Ive got a 98 XJ 4.0 Auto. When I go to start it it cranks and cranks and cranks and will either stumble and not start or fire up. If it stumbles I can turn the key off and try again and she usually fires up. I just replaced the CPS and that did nothing for me. When I turn the ignition on I can hear a faint noise from the fuel pump. Other than this issue I have no other issues when its running.

The battery is good and the cps is brand new so Im eliminating those from the problem. I was either thinking a starter issue or fuel pump?

Also the cap rotor wires and plugs are probably about 4 months old now.

Thanks In Advance

Chris

1992 XJ- Sold
1990 YJ- Sold
rustedxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
MrJCRod
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I came across a few threads on this. It's most likely a fuel delivery issue. Other members have said that it is either the check valve in the pump or the fuel pressure regulator. Either one will let the fuel drain back to the tank and not keep prime so cycling the key without trying to start it once or twice will usually get it to fire up quicker... I was going to replace my regulator but now the problem went away on it's own. It started to happen to me a day after wheelin' and getting stuck in water for a couple of hours but now it fires right up...
MrJCRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
yingpin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Happens to my 98XJ too, sometimes I will turn the key in the on position and let the fuel pump run for a few seconds and that works.

I too feel that it is easier to turn the key twice than it is to actually replace the issue.

I know this is not the best solution, but it works currently for me.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...tation-971709/
yingpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, it's most likely a bad pressure regulator or leaky injectors. I'd bet it's the regulator. Time to drop the tank and install a new assembly. (It's not that hard.)

Don't waste your time on a check valve. That's what I did. I started with a bad regulator, installed a check valve, and ended up with bad injectors. Maybe they weren't related, but something tells me that doing it right the first time would have saved me a lot of time and money.
mortalenema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.