98 Green XJ - Daily Driver Build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 Green XJ - Daily Driver Build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #136
alexrule123
What's a c-clip?

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Those intakes would free up a lot of room however going over the engine is going to pick up more heat compared to going into the driver side cowl. Also, having a filter in the cowl is going to be loud. If you want that then no problem. Also, the passenger side doesnt get fresh air, it would suck air in from the driver side. You could cut a piece of metal out over the passenger side cowl for fresh air but then water could leak into the cabin air intake. With mine using the stock airbox and using the spectre tube going into the driver side cowl, its not loud, gets direct cold air, and has withstood mud, snow, and rain no problem.
It gets fresh air from the driver side cowl opening, that is the same place the ac/heater blower gets its air from. With it being on the passenger side it does not have the issue of rain falling directly on to it like it would if it was on the driver side.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #137
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
It gets fresh air from the driver side cowl opening, that is the same place the ac/heater blower gets its air from. With it being on the passenger side it does not have the issue of rain falling directly on to it like it would if it was on the driver side.
With the front of the cowl, the upper firewall portion, its at an apx. 45-60* angle ontop of of the actual hole being over an inch off the bottom of the cowl. So flowing water would not get sucked in, and rain water will not fall directly into the intake tube. If he has the money then get the premade, but many have had success with the 25$ homemade cowl intake.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #138
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
JCR Makes some of the best stuff available for our XJ's...good decision there!
To make room for a second battery, go with a cowell style intake...ditch the factory air box, and go with a cone style filter inside the cowell.
The best side to theis is the passenger side....its protected from the elements (more or less) ....this is the same side as where the heater draws air from. There's a few companies that offer kits, but if you want to fit a second full size battery in an XJ, this is the most viable, and practical option. Your second battery would then (obviously) take the place of where the stock air box is/was.

THOR:

SPECTRE

Oh man that sucks because I have the snorkel ... It's run off the factory air box like the cowell snorkel was. I had a cowell snorkel and I just re-located the piping to the new snorkel.

I just has a K&N filter in there. I wonder If I can fab up an air box, or use one from a different car/truck or something .... that can be inline ... so it looks like a snake eating something
image-204701485222.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #139
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What you would have to do in your case is, retain the hole int he cowell where you currently have your intake drawing from....
Ditch the factory air-box, and all associated hoses, and filter (re-sell that K&N)
And go with something LIKE this SPECTRE KIT FOR OLDER CHEROKEES
>

THAT kit uses an IN-LINE Canister style air filter, and plums things around to use the location you did.
NOW......this is a spendy kit...around $199.00...and I don't like Spectre (ask me why)....and there's no guarantee that you can successfully retrofit that kit to work on a late-model.
Someone with a little ingenuity and available resources, could fab something up similar for real cheap.
I have also heard that there are some OEM Junk Yard parts that can be utilized as a source for the inline filter.
....I think it's either Areostar or Astro Vans that used a canister style air filter.... cant remember.
But a little walk around in your local wrecking yard would probably be a good idea, to find the tubing, and a canister filter.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #140
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i like what your thinking, I could just cut that and hook it right to the snorkel I I have, I could make that work.
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #141
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What if I got a new coolant overflow and moved it, then turn the fuse box sideways I could put both battery there.
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #142
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Getting into the realm of relocating/rotating/moving the PDC (Power Distribution Center - AKA Fusebox) .....can open up a can of worms.
Often times you may not have the room/the slack, or you'll find there may be interference somewhere else.
The last thing you want to do is start trying to "make it work".....especially with how finicky the Cherokee is with voltage, and grounds.
I think the other thing you would run into is overall foot print of both batteries...and whether or not they would both sit flat.
You're going to run into the wheel well pretty quick.
Not a huge deal if you're running dual dry cells, but if they're lead acid (standard bats) then they MUST sit flat/level or you run int issues in the long run.
Then there's the whole "how do I secure these things"....you definitely dont want batteries bouncing around under the hood.
And if you have batteries sitting at different levels and/or angles.... things can real tricky real quick.
If you do a google image search for "jeep xj dual battery" you'll see in almost every instance the second battery is in the stock air-box location.

Now that being said.....if you DO want to tackle the task of relocating the PDC, and fabricating a second battery tray to install both bats right there in the front corner.....
I MIGHT SUGGEST, you try to find a junk yard with a late model, and "EXPERIMENT" on that one first.
...just in case you run into "irreversible issues"...you're not up the creek with out a paddle so to speak.
Good luck man......regardless of what you do, TAKE A TON OF PICS and post em up!
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #143
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have looked at every thread and google pic I can find, and I have not seen what I was thinking of, must be what you said about not messing with the electrical. Maybe a rear trunk battery, but it just uses so much cable, that's a lot of resistance. I would run a second red top, and I think I have decided to go with the derangio 160amp alt, I think that's the best bang for the $$. I also wanted to get rid of the ac and move the alt up to the ac spot, maybe that will free up some room. Maybe my best bet is to do the alt first and see what I'm working with.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #144
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just did the Grand Cherokee, 130amp alternator upgrade....its awesome.
If you're thinking of ditching the AC, why not just convert it to On Board Air instead?
And you're right, throwing the second bat in the rear cargo area, although would be easier, would be a bit more expensive in the cabling that would be required,
AND would take up cargo space.
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #145
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I just did the Grand Cherokee, 130amp alternator upgrade....its awesome.
If you're thinking of ditching the AC, why not just convert it to On Board Air instead?
And you're right, throwing the second bat in the rear cargo area, although would be easier, would be a bit more expensive in the cabling that would be required,
AND would take up cargo space.
I saw you did the alt swap, I read your thread, really good tech and pics.

I wanted to put it where the ac was to keep it out of the water. I wonder if I gut the glove box area of the dash can I squeez a red top under there ...and just make a false glove box
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #146
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

X2 post
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #147
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
I saw you did the alt swap, I read your thread, really good tech and pics.

I wanted to put it where the ac was to keep it out of the water. I wonder if I gut the glove box area of the dash can I squeez a red top under there ...and just make a false glove box
Interesting idea.....
Never woulda thunk about that! lol
The heater core and passenger side airbag might give you some problems, as well as the subframe of the dash itself.
The glove box is triangular in shape (if looking at it from the side)...almost like an overstuffed envelope.
So it would essentially be like trying to shave a rectangular block into a triangular hole.
It seems like you really REALLY dont want to ditch the factory air box......
but honestly, I think its the most practical solution.
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #148
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea ... You may be right, however ...I don't need a heater core either ..hummm
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #149
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Yea ... You may be right, however ...I don't need a heater core either ..hummm
GUT IT! LOL
Hey the biggest thing going against the Cherokee is its own weight!
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #150
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
GUT IT! LOL
Hey the biggest thing going against the Cherokee is its own weight!
Can you get the heater core out with out taking out the dash? If you can I will gut it and stick a red top back there, that would be awesome.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.