My son is a recent owner of a '98 Cherokee, 6 Cyl, Automatic that wouldn't start. For a couple weeks now, it has been a slow crank and then fire and start. As far as I know, it has ran fine with the exception of the night prior to the non-start issue. It was low on coolant and also the oil gauge was swinging between zero to some pressure reading on the gauge. Oil level reads good on the dipstick.
Yesterday the Jeep cranked and cranked and would not start, even with a jump it would not start. After a tow home and a little research, it sounded like it may be the CPS. I located it, disconnected then did an ohms check. Pins B to C read about 4 MEG Ohms, which doesn't sound like an open or a short. It's higher resistance than expected from reading a few posts so I'm unsure on a good or bad part.
I reconnected the CPS and pulled a spark plug boot to check for spark, which I had. When it was cranking, the Jeep started. Shut it down, put the boot back on the spark plug and it fired up again but it ran rough and I don't think it would get anywhere out of the driveway.
The below information is from a couple posts I found, which gives an indication of a bad CPS, sounds like what I had happen;
"-Unplugging and reconnecting the CPS sensor
where it connect to the main harness near the back of the intake manifold usually resets the ECU and if the jeep fires right up after doing this you can bet that the CPS is faulty and needs to be replaced."
So, an intermittent/faulty CPS?
Thanks for the help.