98 Cherokee sport gas milage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 Cherokee sport gas milage

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 06-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Mattsy

98 Cherokee sport gas milage

Good morning all, My 98 Cherokee is only getting around 180 miles to a tank of gas. Does anyone know of a computer chip that would shut down a couple fuel injectors, so that it would be a four cylinder when needed and I can turn a knob or push a button to switch it back to 6 cylinder as I need more power?
Thanks. Mattsy

Mattsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to Cherokee Forum.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Even if you could do that, which you can't as far as I know, you wouldn't really save much if any gas because the other four cylinders would have to work that much harder to move the dead weight cylinders. Heck even the REAL 4-cyl engines that literally are the same as the 4.0 minus two cylinders don't get much better mileage than the 4.0. There are a million threads on XJ and/or 4.0 mileage. There's no magic bullet, but look those threads up to learn what you CAN do.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

my 01 only gets 210 miles per tank on a good day 180 on a normal day what are your modifications everything you do will cut into your mileage.
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Miles per tank has no meaning at all, sort of like ants per picnic. The gas gauge is not calibrated, and the readout is not linear, it is just a more or less indicator.

Calculate your actual Miles Per Gallon, and then use the Google to compare your results to other XJ owners with similar modifications. If necessary, adjust your MPG figures for non-stock size tires and/or gears.

To increase your MPG's, do all the normal stuff, tune-up, make sure your tires are properly inflated, and perform any necessary maintenance/replacement required to the catalytic converter, O2 sensors, and other engine sensors.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tank size is about 18 gallons if i recall correctly. Getting 180 miles on about 18 gallons is only about 10 mpg. Something sounds out of whack. Time to think about a tune up, O2 sensor, etc or take it easier on the gas pedal.
For reference, my 98 4.0 w/ 5 spd gets high teens routinely back and forth to work. I'Ve gotten low 20's on the highway. My daughter got 25 coming home from college once on some good southern summer blend gas (I'm convinced regional and seasonal differences in gas blends can have a big effect on mileage).
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I get about 240 ants per picnic...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.