98 Cherokee Sport frame repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 Cherokee Sport frame repair

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
gumby688
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 Cherokee Sport frame repair

I just recently picked up a 98 Cherokee sport I went to get new tires installed and the tire guy pointed out some rust problems in the frame. I need to replace the rear section of the drivers side frame from just behind the forward rear shackle mount to just past the spot in the frame that the gas filler neck passes through. Can I cut these parts out and box it in with new steel or is there a frame section I could buy and replace it with?

gumby688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds serious. Can you find a donor vehicle in a junkyard to cut the section from? I understand the others in your area might also be rusty but maybe not as bad. Or take a vacation south. Once you get down to Pa (where I am) you'll have at least a 50/50 chance of finding a good one.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Try to get a picture or three of the damage and post it up. It might be mild enough that you can sand it down a bit, toss some por15 or similar to stop any more rust from spreading and weld a set of frame stiffeners on it. That would probably be the cheapest and easiest route if it's not too far gone. You have to remember that these Cherokees don't have a formal frame that you can easily cut and section in new pieces, it's a unibody.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
gumby688
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice. Yeah it does kinda of seem like it's part frame and part unibody. When I get a chance I will get some pics so you guys can take a look. I mean to me the part looks like a frame rail but I guess it just a steel member attached to the bottom of the body. Looks like it goes from where the bumper mounts up to about where the front of the rear forward shackle mounts( hard too see right now I have 14 inches of snow in my driveway can barely look under the jeep). The piece is squared off like a frame. I was wondering if I could maybe get ahold of a junkyard in Texas or Arizona to remove that part or whatever and ship it up so I would have no concern about rust or if I could just order a new replacement part that could be married in.
Unread 02-20-2014, 04:14 AM   #5
scottspott99

had same problem on my 99xj. we took 3x3 angle iron and laminated the bad spot as much as we could. we considered cutting out but how we did it took about an hour
scottspott99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby688 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Yeah it does kinda of seem like it's part frame and part unibody. When I get a chance I will get some pics so you guys can take a look. I mean to me the part looks like a frame rail but I guess it just a steel member attached to the bottom of the body. Looks like it goes from where the bumper mounts up to about where the front of the rear forward shackle mounts( hard too see right now I have 14 inches of snow in my driveway can barely look under the jeep). The piece is squared off like a frame. I was wondering if I could maybe get ahold of a junkyard in Texas or Arizona to remove that part or whatever and ship it up so I would have no concern about rust or if I could just order a new replacement part that could be married in.
Yea, it looks and acts pretty much just like an traditional framerail, but it's actually part of the unibody. Not saying that sections can't be replaced, just making sure you know it's not as simple to marry a new piece in as it would be on something with a traditional frame, like a Wrangler.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
gumby688
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Front part with hole

Rear part at where filler neck comes through frame.
Unread 02-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby688
Front part with hole Rear part at where filler neck comes through frame.
Same situation my 94. I'm gonna do the 3x3 angle and cut a slot to go around the filler neck. And run it about 7" past the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

94 motor, 4.5" and 35s
xjlife101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.