'98 cherokee sport. 5spd 4.0. Bucking in low gears. Check Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '98 cherokee sport. 5spd 4.0. Bucking in low gears. Check Engine

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 06-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
carruthers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

'98 cherokee sport. 5spd 4.0. Bucking in low gears. Check Engine

'98 Cherokee Sport 5 speed v6 4.0

recently had the wires ripped out of my o2 sensor after the cat converter. a short time after i replaced it with a new o2 sensor (check engine light still on, never reset), it started bucking in lower gears. it feels like a fuel problem, but it idles fine.

i've tried to do a self-test to see what codes come up, not sure if i did it right. when i press the trip/odometer button, turn the key "on" and let go of the button, "2.3" shows up for a second (different from my tripometer reading).

any ideas on the problem? or a way to bring up the p-codes that i haven't tried?

thanks.

UPDATE: i just got my OBDII Tester, got 3 Codes:

o2 Sensor Circuit High Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1
o2 Sensor circuit high volts bank 1 sensor 2
and Pending: o2 Sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2.

also, the "I/M" tester had the Catalyst Monitor, Evaporative System Monitor, o2 Sensor monitor and o2 sensor heater monitor all "Not Ready"

Last edited by carruthers; 06-25-2012 at 03:22 PM..
carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
n5xl

The easiest way to read the codes on all ODB2 computers is to get yourself a scanner. If you want to do it on the cheap, go to your local autozone or similar and they can read the codes for you for free. If you plan on doing your own mechanic work, you'll be ahead of the game to get your own scanner. Several good ones out there to have. If you go the autozone route, have them give you the codes and let us know what codes they pull. We'll be able to guide you to the repair.
98 XJ, AW4, 2"ACOS/JKS Shackles
n5xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
carruthers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5xl View Post
The easiest way to read the codes on all ODB2 computers is to get yourself a scanner. If you want to do it on the cheap, go to your local autozone or similar and they can read the codes for you for free. If you plan on doing your own mechanic work, you'll be ahead of the game to get your own scanner. Several good ones out there to have. If you go the autozone route, have them give you the codes and let us know what codes they pull. We'll be able to guide you to the repair.
Thanks for the fast reply!

i have just ordered a cheap scanner. i'll let you know what codes i get in 5-7 business days
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
carruthers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

someone told me that taking both battery cables off and holding them together for 10-15 seconds would reset the computer and put it into "learning mode".

can anyone confirm this? or tell me what could be wrong with it? it doesn't sit right with me, seems like it would just be shorting it out with the residual juice..
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bucking, stalling and backfiring are the common symptoms of O2 sensor issues. They will not clear up until you repair the cause. Either you have one or more faulty O2 sensors, an O2 sensor wiring problem, or the O2 sensors fuses are blown.

Scan your codes and fix the probelm.

There is a procedure to put the computer into learning mode, but that will not help solve your O2 sensor issue.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
carruthers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

THANKS CJ7-Tim!
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
zuki_06

carruthers, I had the same issue a while back with my 98 XJ auto after it sat for a while. It got so bad randomly that I couldn't drive it. Turned out being an O2 sensor I think the precat because my converters gone now. Anyhow mine was dumping fuel into the intake like crazy and causing it to back fire into the intake.They say all Jeeps after 96 went OBDII but I can still pull OBD1 codes up? My OBDII plug has never worked so I just always flipped my key and watched the codes come up in the ODO. Here's a link with codes and explanations.

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2719

http://offroad-review.com/new/index.php?page=161

Both have good info but the second link matches up my codes better.
zuki_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
carruthers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks zuki_06. i ordered a cheap OBDII tester, should be here friday. hopefully i can get this sorted out soon. anxious to get her back on the road..
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Tyreman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carruthers View Post
'98 Cherokee Sport 5 speed v6 4.0

recently had the wires ripped out of my o2 sensor after the cat converter. a short time after i replaced it with a new o2 sensor (check engine light still on, never reset), it started bucking in lower gears. it feels like a fuel problem, but it idles fine.

i've tried to do a self-test to see what codes come up, not sure if i did it right. when i press the trip/odometer button, turn the key "on" and let go of the button, "2.3" shows up for a second (different from my tripometer reading).

any ideas on the problem? or a way to bring up the p-codes that i haven't tried?

thanks.

Did you replace both of the o2 sensors? My 98 had the same exact problem and it was a pain in the ***. Replacing both of them solved the problem though.
Tyreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
carruthers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyreman View Post
Did you replace both of the o2 sensors? My 98 had the same exact problem and it was a pain in the ***. Replacing both of them solved the problem though.
I only replaced ONE. hoping that replacing both solves it.. thanks

UPDATE: i just got my OBDII Tester, got 3 Codes:

o2 Sensor Circuit High Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1
o2 Sensor circuit high volts bank 1 sensor 2
and Pending: o2 Sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2.

also, the "I/M" tester had the Catalyst Monitor, Evaporative System Monitor, o2 Sensor monitor and o2 sensor heater monitor all "Not Ready"

Tags
bucking , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.