Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98 Cherokee sport dashlights

620 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jonrauss 
#1 ·
I need help

So at night my lights where it shows how fast I am driving isn't working. I bought it used and they have never worked. I changed my 5amp fuse and nothing happened, I think my next step is to change the bulb. Does anyone know the solution? Please

#4 ·
This ^ You need a phillips screwdriver and a basic 1/4" drive set, i THINK the dash is mostly 3/8" and/or 1/4".

Either way it's pretty easy and it's probably just the bulb(s). I suggest replacing them ALL with either Sylvania Silverstar (by FAR my preferred dash/shifter bulbs) or with good LED's. No reason to take your dash apart more times than you have to, so it'd be good to have all brand-new, quality bulbs if you're going to have to disassemble the dash and the cluster now anyway.

#3 ·
Cluster should use 194 bulbs, pretty easy to get into to change. Mostly the trim just pops off and then a few Philips screws. If you mean the cluster doesn't light at all then it's multimeter time and I'd check out the switch.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#6 ·
That is odd. Try cleaning out both sides of the plug at the back of the cluster with electronics cleaner and a q-tip. Sometimes those get corroded and cause problems. Usually it kills the whole cluster, not a couple of lights, but I think it's possible that's the problem.

No visible signs of burnout in any of the cluster boards leading to the bulbs, right?

#7 ·
That is odd. Try cleaning out both sides of the plug at the back of the cluster with electronics cleaner and a q-tip. Sometimes those get corroded and cause problems. Usually it kills the whole cluster, not a couple of lights, but I think it's possible that's the problem.

No visible signs of burnout in any of the cluster boards leading to the bulbs, right?[/QUOTE

I will try and no everything looks clean in back. Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.