98 Cherokee P1698 Fault Code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 Cherokee P1698 Fault Code

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
jmadlem2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 Cherokee P1698 Fault Code

I have a 98 cherokee with a P1698 Fault Code. This issue came up after swapping the engine out. When the TCM is plugged in the Speed o meter doesnt work. But when it is unplugged it works properly. The trannsmission is stuck in high gear (over drive) at all times. I tried swapping out the tranny but this didnt correct the problem. Could anyone point me in the right direction before I spend anymore money on my project.

Thank You,

jmadlem2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

P1698 No CCD/J1850 Message From TCM electronic transmission control module (EATX) or the Aisin transmission controller.

Faulty TCM, faulty/damaged transmission sensors or speedometer sensor, or damaged wires.

Randomly swapping parts in the hopes accidentally fix a problem gets expensive in a big hurry. Do you have a Factory Service Manual ?

What year was the donor ? Were the flywheels the same ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
jmadlem2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The flywheel is the original one. What i did is rebuilt the motor myself. No I don't have the factory service manual. The transmission shifts strong manually. All conections from the tcm and ecm read fine. Ive also replaced the speed senor recently.
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Shifting normally when shifted manually points more toward an electrical issue. Since you recently performed major repairs, the logical starting point is confirming everything is correctly installed, correctly connected, and that no wires or components were damaged during the work.

Consider a used TCM from the junkyard as they cannot be easily tested. Otherwise, test and inspect for faulty/damaged transmission sensors, speedometer sensor, Neutral Safety Switch (NSS), or damaged wires.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
jmadlem2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is what I figured an electical issue. I thought if the transmission shifted normally manually that it couldn't be mechanical. I will trouble shoot what I can. I willing to bet some wires got damaged during the engine installation. I'll let you know what I find. Thank you for the help.
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
jmadlem2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Problem solved. The ground(blk/tan) wiring on TCM wasn't getting a strong enough connection. Thanks for the help.

Tags
1998 , cherokee , p1698 , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.