'98 Cherokee Loss of Power and Stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '98 Cherokee Loss of Power and Stalling

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
koko2635
1998 XJ Cherokee 

'98 Cherokee Loss of Power and Stalling

Ok I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

I have a 98 cherokee that I just replaced the thermostat and housing gasket on yesterday.
She ran fine all day yesterday and today up until I was driving home and I noticed there seemed to be a lack of power and response when I hit the gas. Later in the day I went to run some errands and when I hit the gas there was no response and she began to stall out every time I tried the gas. Eventually she just died all together and has troubles restarting.

It should also be noted that I need to replace my A/C Compressor which makes her squeal at me when I first start her.

What are some possible problems/solutions?

koko2635 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
koko2635
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely problem so far in my research is there is a leak somewhere thats causing to much air to come in. Any common connectors or hoses that like to crack or pop off?

Last edited by koko2635; 11-21-2013 at 02:23 AM..
koko2635 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Start with the basics, does it have spark at the spark plugs, and are the fuel injectors firing ? Next, test the battery and the alternator. Inspect the battery wires, clean the ends, and bolt them back in place firmly. The Jeep will not run correctly without a steady supply of 12 volts to the computer. If you still have the problem, test the Throttle Position Sensor.

Tighten the fan belt, it should stop squealing.

Too much air coming in isn't is not a actual problem, unless you are talking about intake manifold leakage causing the engine to redline the tachometer.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You should also check fuel pressure.

Also, I it's doubtful your AC compressor is faulty just because the belt squeals when its started. Most likely needs a decent quality belt (like Goodyear) on it at the proper tension. Most people who replace the belts on the 4.0 fail to realize how tight they actually need to be.

Sent from my phone where correct grammar is difficult.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
kbad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey Koko ... ditto all of the other suggestions .. however, you mentioned the squealing and since you replaced the thermo, my best personal experience suggestion would be that your water pump is shot or about to go ... it would be a good idea to check it out while you are at it or replace it altogether if you don't know its history - water pump impeller shards would be costly if they ended up inside your engine cooling parts! .. good luck!
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
power , stalling , thermostat , throttle , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.