Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98 Cherokee heat not working

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Lupinus 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a 98 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 2x4 with 147k on the clock.

All appears to be fine with the vehicle except for the heating.

The vehicle reached and maintained operating temperature with no issue ruling out the water pump or thermostat (please correct if I'm wrong). It also changed zones fine, so it blew out air where it was supposed to. The air also was not ice cold, but not warm either.

There was some light non-constant belt noise while warming up and for the first couple minutes of the drive. I haven't had a chance to inspect this yet and plan to do so later today when I take the vehicle for a once over at my mechanics shop. Right now I'm thinking it was just a wet belt due to the weather of the past couple days.

According to the seller he thinks it has something to do with the switch inside the dash that tells the car to blow hot air, and is dropping the price accordingly.

As I'm not familiar with this model does anyone have other ideas on what it could be?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd check the heater control valve, its vacuum operated, see if its opening up.. if it is.. the heater core might be plugged up.. check the radiator fluid, it rusty colored or clean?
If its not opening up, it could be the switch in the dash..

#7 ·
There is NO HEATER CONTROL VALVE on a 97+ XJ.

I am betting the heater core is plugged up on the OP's "target vehicle".

#4 ·
It's on the passanger side of the engine compartment near the fire wall.. follow the two heater hoses along side the valve cover back it, they will lead you right to it...

#6 ·
I know that the 99 doesnt have one, and I'd venture to say that anything later than 99 doesnt have it either but IDK. I have been having the same issue, but I've tracked it down for some time now. First it was said that it could have been the blend door motor or shaft for the blend door itself. Well i checked all that and it ends up that I found out the heater core has very small "capilary" tubes inside the bigger heater core. It will still flush as normal, but flushing wont wash out these small capilary tubes. Basically, it comes down to replacing the heater core, which means the dash comes out.

#8 ·
X3; no heater control valve on a 98. I agree with Jeff.......a clogged heater core is awfully common, especially on vehicles that have not had routine cooling system maintenance. You always want to try flushing the heater core with "moderate" water pressure before giving it the last rights and tearing into the dash.

How much is he asking for the 98??

#9 ·
thanks for the info on the 97+ az jeff... i have to agree that the heater core is suspect...

#10 ·
yep once we got the hood open it was the core based on the hoses.

I've got him down considerably from the original asking price; its in otherwise excellent shape except for the heat, a valve gasket, and needs the break cylinders replaced. Price is I'd say fair plus about 50-100 bucks, but I like the vehicle so what the heck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.