98 cherokee gauge cluster not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 98 cherokee gauge cluster not working

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
LrgLnrd
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 cherokee gauge cluster not working

So heres my dilemma I just picked up a 98 xj with an inoperable gauge cluster. Before picking it up I researched possible causes for why it was not working and was certain that it was the loose connection in the back of the cluster, so today I pulled it out to find that someone had been in there and tried that. So no go on that now I have been reading about other possible cause but am a little stumped due to so many different complaints on what was happening.

So for what is going on with mine. I put the key in the koeo position and all of my warning lights come on , Check engine, check gauges, fuel light ect. And all of them go out as they should after a few moments but when I start my car there are no gauges working, No oil psi, coolant temp, rpm, speed or odometer.

I did check the fuses on the passenger side fuse panel along with under the hood and all of the fuses were good.

My main concern is that numerous posts I have read only talked about the entire cluster not working or only certain gauges not working. But I did not come across any saying that all warning lights were working but not the gauges. I would really appreciate any help that you guys could suggest.

Oh yeah I dont know if this ties into anything but I have also noticed that I dont have any interior light and my radio does not work. If I turn on the power I hear it turn on in the speakers but nothing comes out and there is not clock on the radio either. If this has nothing to do with the cluster then Im not too worried about it but if it is tied in somehow then that might help point me in the right direction for fixing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Greg

LrgLnrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrgLnrd View Post
.......noticed that I dint have any interior light and my radio does not work. If I turn on the power I hear it turn on in the speakers but nothing comes out and there is not clock on the radio either.
I would suppose that these are related symptoms. Cure the light/radio power issues and the cluster should function.

Wiring issues in the drivers door are common and there are several hot circuits in the door that can short circuit. Take off the door plastic trim panel, inspect the wire harness for chafed insulation, broken wires, and failed wire splices.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Wolfie

Maybe a wire got pinched? To the point that its not cut. But its not working? Something disconnected maybe? Does sound like it could be related. As Tim said.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
LrgLnrd
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I was poking around in my door and came across some slightly damaged wires but also found a broken in-line fuse wire, It looks to be solid green going into the cabin but inside the door there are four wires going into the in-line fused wire. if i remember correctly they are a green with red tracer, green with black tracer, solid black( no entirely sure) or maybe black with red tracer and one more wire but I cant remember what color.

I am going to go ahead and fix that but was a little worried with the in-line fuse and looked up the wiring diagram and there is no mention of the in-line fuse in the door, At least no that I have found yet and Im not sure if I would be able to just go ahead and spice the two wires together as you would with any other wiring reconnect or if there is some specific way of going about it

Thanks for the tips to investigate the door and hopefully somebody will know what Im talking about.
Greg
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cheapest and quickest thing I would do to troubleshoot is go to a local junkyard and pick up a cluster for $15. If it works, you know the cluster wasn't the problem. If it doesn't work, you've eliminated the cluster.
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
LrgLnrd
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I have been thinking about going that route, but not too many junk yards close to me.

Im still really confused about what the wire is thats broken in my door and if I can just go ahead and splice them back together whether is fixes my cluster or not I just want tp know what it is and know thats its fixed.
Oh and I dont remember if I had mentioned that my odo is not working wither. I have noticed that most people with the cluster issue still have the odo and dont know whether is also helps with pinpointing what the issue is.
Thanks
Greg

Last edited by LrgLnrd; 03-03-2012 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Forgot a question
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your instrument cluster has a ground at ground post G108. The wire is an 18 ga Black/light green tracer. G108 located on the dash frame near the headlmp switch. If someone was fooling around under the dash they may have left the ground wires loose. The radio is also grounded at G108. There's lots of ground wires at G108. Check it out.

I can't find an in-line fuse anywhere in an XJ. It looks like someone was attempting to add or fix something in the door(?).

Have you tried the instrument cluster actuator test?

Here's the FSM procedure:

(1) Begin the test with the ignition switch in the
Off position.
(2) Depress the trip odometer reset button.
(3) While holding the trip odometer reset button
depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position,
but do not start the engine.
(4) Release the trip odometer reset button.
(5) All advisory lights will cycle on and off. Each gauge will sweep through its range at 2 second intervals. (My text)
(6) The instrument cluster will automatically exit
the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation
at the completion of the test, if the ignition
switch is turned to the Off position during the test,
or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the
vehicle is moving is received from the PCM on the
CCD data bus during the test.
(7) Go back to Step 1 to repeat the test, if
required.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
LrgLnrd
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Im gonna check the ground out in a bit and yes I have done the relearn procedure and the cluster does recognize what I had done but none of the gauges do anything all of the other dash lights go through their procedure but not the gauges.
I am really perturbed with the inline fuse because it doesnt look like any one had been in there before unless they did and exceptional job putting it back together because all or the tape and covering for the harness was all in tack and didnt look like it had been messed with.
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are no in-line fuses in the doors. Are you looking at a wire splice ?

Fix the wire problems in the door. The cluster issue may clear up. Since you mention that the lights do come on at some point, the cluster is probably fine. Your symptoms point to a wiring issues, probably a short or open circuit.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
LrgLnrd
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its not a wire splice. It is four wires going into a one wire that has thick semi clear insulating on it and towards the end of the insulated wire you can see a space in the wire with a long piece of gold metal is inside the insulation and then the wire continues after that until going into the door hinge. i am guessing this is where my problem is and I am going to go fix where the wres are broken ad hope for the best.

I am going to try and get a picture of what Im talking about just for visual reference, but I dont know how to upload pictures on to here. I will worry about that later though.

Sorry if my description is a little off, this is the first time I have come across any type of wiring of this nature and am pretty thrown off by it. Either way I am going to be going out to start putting wires back together and also check out the ground that I was suggested to check. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Greg
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

By your description of "thick semi clear insulating on it and towards the end of the insulated wire you can see a space in the wire with a long piece of gold metal is inside the insulation", it sounds like speaker wire. Maybe there's aftermarket speakers in the door.

As to all the advisory lights working during the test, they are hard wired and do not function by the CCD Bus. The instruments are diriven by the CCD Bus. The CCD Bus (+) and (-) wires are 20 ga. wires; the CCD (+) is Violet/Brown tracer and the CCD (-) is White/Black tracer. Both CCD Bus wires come from the PCM and enter the instrument cluster through its connector at pin 2 for the (+) and pin 1 for the (-). The CCD Bus wires communicate with other moduleson the Bus. None of the gauges in the instrument cluster will work if one or both of the CCD Bus wires are open between the PCM and the instrument cluster. Below is a schematic showing how the instrument cluster interfaces with the PCM and other modules.

Pin 9 of the connector is ground at G108. Its wire is 18 ga. and is Black/Light Green.

Unread 03-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
LrgLnrd
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey so yes what I was looking at in the door were speaker power wires. I put those back together and of course nothing happened.

If Im following you correctly CCKen then I need to check for power and ground at all of the modules that are shown sharing the ccd bus?

Also where is ground g108 I tried to take a look and didnt happen to notice it. I will try to look a little harder to figure out where it is. Or do I just follow from pin 9 and it will lead me to the ground?

Greg
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrgLnrd View Post
Hey so yes what I was looking at in the door were speaker power wires. I put those back together and of course nothing happened.

If Im following you correctly CCKen then I need to check for power and ground at all of the modules that are shown sharing the ccd bus?

No. Plug the instrument cluster connector back in. (refer to the schematic) Using a digital voltmeter check for CCD Bus (+) and (-) voltage a the Data Link Connector. With the ignition switch in the RUN position (engine off), touch the positive lead of your DVM to pin 3 (CCD (+) of the DLC and the negative lead to pin 4 or 5, repeat process by checking from pin 11 (CCD (-) to pin 4 or 5. You should see approximately 2.5 volts at each test. Let us know what you find.

Also where is ground g108 I tried to take a look and didnt happen to notice it. I will try to look a little harder to figure out where it is.

The ground is under the dash, to the left (as you look forward) of the headlamp switch.

Or do I just follow from pin 9 and it will lead me to the ground?

You can take your Ohmmeter and go from pin 9 to chassis ground and check for continuity. I use one of the bolt heads that secure the gas pedal pivot bracket to the firewall. Shake the wire bundle while you're checking this.Greg

See my remarks above.
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you don't have a Factory Service Manual for your heep, I suppose a pic of the instrument cluster connector would help.

Last edited by CCKen; 03-03-2012 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
LrgLnrd
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome thanks so much for all the info and visuals. I will be checking everything out tomorrow and will let you guys know what I find out.
Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.