'98 Budget Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '98 Budget Build

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Admiral_Doom

'98 Budget Build

Hey guys...this is my first writeup so bear with me. My Dad and I build jeeps and trucks together, so I started to look for one for myself. I came across this '98 XJ for $300. She used to be a service jeep (Spartan interior, full skid plates, and enough radio mounts and antenna holes for Air Force One) and had major troubles. The exhaust leaked MAJORLY (New hi-flow muffler and no cat, thank God for South Carolina emissions laws) and the tranny-engine were held together with 1 bolt, causing major trouble. Fixed all that and it's been running great since. Put on a Pro Comp 3" lift and 2 Hella 500s, and here it sits

For some background, I'm a cadet at The Citadel, so I don't get much time off. This week is spring break, so I decided to work on my jeep a little. Time for Stage 1.

My first mod was to take off the fender flares and bumpers, and replace them with Stage 1 bumpers from JCR Offroad

Next mod: slap on a set of 33" BFG All Terrains mounted on stockers (I need to trim, but time has been hard to come by)

After looking at the jeep, I decided that the roof rack needed some work. I took the kayak racks off (don't use them much anymore, but I need the bike racks) and put a set of 4 Bosch Halogens I had lying around. I also made a spare tire mount with a few bolts, a piece of flat bar and a crappy rim/tire.

And here she sits now

Plans for Stage 2: 6.5" Custom lift (6.5" coils, 4.5" leafs with shackles, Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks, Adjustable control arms, RE full SYE, new D/S) with 35" BFG Mud Terrains on Mickey Thompson Classic IIs. I already have most of everything, but I just don't have time this week. Hopefully i'll be able to get some stuff done over the weekends, so check for updates!

Thanks for reading!

Admiral_Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

Looking good! Want to sell those stock flares?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Next time you post pics use the IMG tags and if they don't show up one of us will make them show up for you. Nice looking jeep.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Admiral_Doom

They are in IMGs...could you make 'em click free plz? Thanks!
Unread 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Doom View Post
Hey guys...this is my first writeup so bear with me. My Dad and I build jeeps and trucks together, so I started to look for one for myself. I came across this '98 XJ for $300. She used to be a service jeep (Spartan interior, full skid plates, and enough radio mounts and antenna holes for Air Force One) and had major troubles. The exhaust leaked MAJORLY (New hi-flow muffler and no cat, thank God for South Carolina emissions laws) and the tranny-engine were held together with 1 bolt, causing major trouble. Fixed all that and it's been running great since. Put on a Pro Comp 3" lift and 2 Hella 500s, and here it sits

For some background, I'm a cadet at The Citadel, so I don't get much time off. This week is spring break, so I decided to work on my jeep a little. Time for Stage 1.

My first mod was to take off the fender flares and bumpers, and replace them with Stage 1 bumpers from JCR Offroad

Next mod: slap on a set of 33" BFG All Terrains mounted on stockers (I need to trim, but time has been hard to come by)

After looking at the jeep, I decided that the roof rack needed some work. I took the kayak racks off (don't use them much anymore, but I need the bike racks) and put a set of 4 Bosch Halogens I had lying around. I also made a spare tire mount with a few bolts, a piece of flat bar and a crappy rim/tire.

And here she sits now

Plans for Stage 2: 6.5" Custom lift (6.5" coils, 4.5" leafs with shackles, Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks, Adjustable control arms, RE full SYE, new D/S) with 35" BFG Mud Terrains on Mickey Thompson Classic IIs. I already have most of everything, but I just don't have time this week. Hopefully i'll be able to get some stuff done over the weekends, so check for updates!

Thanks for reading!
Click free
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Admiral_Doom

Thanks man!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.