97xj clunking while braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97xj clunking while braking

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Norton21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97xj clunking while braking

I have a 97 xj with 80,000 miles, yup, 80,000 miles! Recently when I apply the brakes driving the front end has been a clunking noise,the pads and rotors are brand new within the past 5 months. I took it all apart they all look fine. It only really happens when braking harder or braking from a higher speed. Any one have any ideas what it could be?

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Suspension or steering, assuming there is no excessive wear or pits on the steering knuckle slide points for the calipers.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Norton21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I replaced the slides for the calipers I'm case it was that, what in the suspension do you think it could be, a bad bushing? It's only while braking though which is puzzling...
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Norton21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So how did the inspection of steering and suspension go ? Checked torque on all the fasteners ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Norton21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I checked the bushings today they all seem fine, I felt for play in the tie rods they were good too
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Norton21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

late response, turned out to be a stripped bolt between the steering knuckle and caliper. I drilled it out re-tapped it and put in a hell coil, fixed the problem!
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton21
late response, turned out to be a stripped bolt between the steering knuckle and caliper. I drilled it out re-tapped it and put in a hell coil, fixed the problem!
Was it only happening on one side? I've got the same problem on the front left side! Mind getting a picture of the bolt that was stripped?
Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Norton21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yup 1 side, it was the front drivers side. The caliper whole was stripped and there was play in the bolt. it took about 10 mins to fix and solved the problem sorry I dont have any pictures. Just take the wheel off and see if the bolt has any play from the steering knuckle to the caliper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.