97 XJ Worth It? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 XJ Worth It?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

97 XJ Worth It?

Hey guys I am new to this part of the forum. I am used to posting in the YJ section but I am considering adding to my collection.

I found an ad for a 97 Cherokee that has a 4.0 with a 5 speed manual transmission and is 4x4. The guy is asking $750 for it. Here is why so cheap. The motor is no good and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I feel like this could be perfect for me because during my yj project I bought a 4.0 motor and was thinking about swapping that in but ended up rebuilding the original motor. So I have a 4.0 motor sitting in my shop. The only thing im not sure of is the motor that I have came out of a 95 cherokee.

My question to you guys is this: will I have any problems dropping this motor into that cherokee with the cherokee being 2 years newer...will the wiring be the same? Also, does this sound like a good price for that package? Thanks for all of your help and hopefully I will be on this part of the forum a lot more in the near future.

Jimidude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

If the spare motor you have is an obd2 one then its a straight swap, also hope it came out of an xj.

But if its obd1 then all you have to do is swap over some parts.
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

If the body isnt rotten out, should be. What does a blown motor mean anyway? Lots of people say things are blown or bad because they have no idea how to fix them (or bother searching on here)
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Battle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If it's a Florida Cherokee it should have zero rust. OBD II was US standard in 96 but some late year 95s were made OBD 2. I honestly have no clue if Jeep ever did this but I have reason to believe they did not and your 95 4.0 is OBD I which means the swap would not be as cut-and-dry as you might think.
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I believe it is a florida jeep...im not sure if the motor that I have is obd I or II...if it is I than what would I have to do in order to make it work? is it a big PITA?
Jimidude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any 1990-2001 XJ or 93-98 ZJ 4.0L block will work. Install the replament block, Remove and re-use as needed or required the original: intake/exhaust manifold, cylinder head, throttle body, flexplate, belt driven accessories, and engine sensors. The Jeep does not know or care where/when the original block came from.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.