97 XJ upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 XJ upgrade

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #1
WBZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97 XJ upgrade

It has been some time since i have been on this forum. I am getting ready to start an upgrade plan on my XJ. It is a 97 with just over 200,000 miles, but it has been maintained and is in fairly good shape so i think it is worth the cost to do what i want to do. Keep in mind that i am not a mechanic, i envy the skills some of you have.

I currently have 30x9.50x15 Firestone Destination AT tires on a stock suspension and stock 5 spoke wheels, it is a tight fit but it works. I am considering the Old Man Emu 1.5 lift that i can get from Quadratec for $855.95, my mechanic says he thinks about $300 labor to make the switch. After this is complete I hope to put 31 inch tires on it. I have Bridgestone Duellers on another SUV and have been more pleased with them than the Firestones. I plan to use my stock wheels. I have been holding off on this project until the tires wear out and that time is almost here. This is primarily a street vehicle and i want it to ride and handle good. the guy at quadratic says it will ride better than it does now.

edited to add http://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_800.htm

I also need new exhaust from the converter back. I would like to have a nice sounding exhaust with out being to loud. Keep in mind i am 55 and my wife will be using the Xj to take the grandsons to the little league field I like the idea of the magaflow but at around $600 i am not sure if i can get about the same thing for less

I was wondering about this
http://www.quadratec.com/products/77608_801_07.htm

The guy at quadratec mentioned this
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17603_6100_07.htm

and then there is this
http://www.quadratec.com/products/77606_802_07.htm

I am open to suggestions on the exhaust.

I have new headliner material ordered and plan to do that myself. I just got a tune up with new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and will be getting new brakes on the front as soon as he can get me back in his shop. He also added some dye to my AC system to see if he can find a freon leak. I just got a new DieHard Platinum battery recently

I have had my XJ for a long time with no plans to get rid of it so I want to do this right. This is not a money is no object project but i am also not on a shoestring budget either.

WBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #2
RogueXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Can't speak for the exhaust but you should post a link to the lift you're looking into. Its a little hard to give a good assessment otherwise. That said, OME produces great products so you can be pretty sure you'll be happy.
RogueXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #3
WBZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

sorry about that
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_800.htm
WBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #4
RogueXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah that is going to ride beautifully. I certainly recommend rubber bushings, esp for a street rig. Dont forget new Ubolts for your axle. Don't reuse the old ones because they stretch and develop stress fractures on appication of torque and could (not extremely likely) fail. Otherwise, enjoy the new leaf packs!
RogueXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:30 PM   #5
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

$900 for 1.5" seems a tad nuts.... You could get a full long armed lift for $900... If you're only wanting 1.5"-2" do a "budget boost." Save yourself about $800.
DirtyJeepGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:41 PM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy View Post
$900 for 1.5" seems a tad nuts.... You could get a full long armed lift for $900... If you're only wanting 1.5"-2" do a "budget boost." Save yourself about $800.
It's brand new parts from a name that has had a very good rep for smooth riding kits.
New, generic, full leafs, springs and shocks could easily cost the better part of $600, and they throw in a T-case drop to boot!

Having said that, I wouldn't spend that much for 1.5" of lift :/
If the current springs are OK, I'd just do a coil spacer and a shackle relocation bracket with a longer shackle...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:52 PM   #7
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23
It's brand new parts from a name that has had a very good rep for smooth riding kits. New, generic, full leafs, springs and shocks could easily cost the better part of $600, and they throw in a T-case drop to boot! Having said that, I wouldn't spend that much for 1.5" of lift :/ If the current springs are OK, I'd just do a coil spacer and a shackle relocation bracket with a longer shackle...

And you don't get bushings for leaf springs lol...
DirtyJeepGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:39 PM   #8
RedJeepster1

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If the money isn't an issue, OME is supposed to have a really great riding product. If you want to save a few dollars and get new leaf packs, Crown HD leaf springs will get you about the same amount of lift and are rather inexpensive. Moog makes HD front springs that should keep everything level. For those, you also will need to buy bushings and U-bolts, as well as new shocks. You could save a couple hundred dollars most likely. That is up to you though. Any kit of combination of parts where you get full leafs and new front springs with shocks and all the hardware will cost a few hundred dollars. I can speak from experiance that the HD Crown leafs ride better with a load on them, but handle extra weight very well. I can not speak personally about the OME kit since I don't have it, but most people seem very happy with their product.

Regarding the exhaust, I have the DynoMax cat back kit and I am happy with it. It bolted right up with no issues. I did have to replace my rear most exhaust hanger as it was rusted and no longer usable. That however was not the fault of the new exhaust system. After a couple thousand miles, the exhaust has a good tone and is not loud on the highway. It does however get very close to interfering with the rear springs due to the fact that it points towards the side of the Jeep slightly as it exits. Depending on your springs, it could cause an interference issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.