97 xj speedometer, tachometer, airbag light problems!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 xj speedometer, tachometer, airbag light problems!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
97country
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97 xj speedometer, tachometer, airbag light problems!!!

I have a 1997 jeep cherokee country 4wd 4.0 inline 6 cylinder. the problem i am having and seems to be getting worse is driving down the interstate with the cruise control on the speedometer and the tachometer go to zero and the airbag light comes on. it does this for no rhyme or reason. it still drives fine and all other guages work. it does it for about a mile or so give or take then the spedo and tach go back to working and the airbag light goes out. that is how it started and recently it seems like it is doing it more often and i dont have to be on the interstate it happens around town now....but does seem like i have to get on the interstate for it to happen which is irrelevent i guess. it did seem like it i turned the blinker on it would make them go back to working quicker. and also that reminds me to night when i used my left turn signal it made a wierd noise instead of the "blinker noise" and the green arrow didnt light up on the dash. after i completed turn it started working.

thanks for any help in advance.

Grey

97country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

check the connections on the back of the instrument cluster. May just need to re-seat the connectors.

Last edited by Greenz; 07-23-2009 at 11:35 AM..
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would suspect the clock spring is going bad.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
I would suspect the clock spring is going bad.
I thought that at first but I 've not heard of the clock spring causing the speedometer and tach to go to zero.
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Next time the gauges go out, give the dash a little punch. If the gauges come back to life, it's a bad connection behind the cluster.

The blinker might be a completely separate problem.
mortalenema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, it could be a combination of dirty cluster connections and the clockspring.IDK
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mine has been doing it for years. It doesn't happen often enough that I've been motivated to pull the dash apart. It's a very common problem in the '97+.
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
97country
1997 XJ Cherokee 

thanks!!

well thanks for the responses. sounds like a lot of work to take dash apart just to check the connections. idk maybe ill just live with it. it started it close to a year ago then went away and now recently it has done it regular. loose connection sounds right cause some of the interstate i drive on is that crappy concreate that breaks and gets uneven. Oh and what is a clock spring just outta curiosity.
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The clock spring allows the steering wheel to rotate and still connect electrically.

My gauges cut out on me for the first time in months today. Cracked me up good, considering this thread.
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I can 100% tell you that Chrylser has a TSB out on thsi exact issue, it is the cluster connection,a nd it is corroded, you need to yank the cluster clean the connections and put it back together. Mort is absolutely correct, and I work for a Jeep dealer and have had the actual TSB in my hand, they suggest replacing the connector, but honestly a good cleaning and some dielectic grease and you are good to go...
XJNUTTIER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
97country
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well if TSB is the case ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNUTTIER View Post
I can 100% tell you that Chrylser has a TSB out on thsi exact issue, it is the cluster connection,a nd it is corroded, you need to yank the cluster clean the connections and put it back together. Mort is absolutely correct, and I work for a Jeep dealer and have had the actual TSB in my hand, they suggest replacing the connector, but honestly a good cleaning and some dielectic grease and you are good to go...

Well if TSb is the case doesn't that mean Jeep has to fix it for free? I wish I was more mechanically inclined and i would try it but sounds to complicated for a oil changer. Since you say you work for a jeep dealer any idea on how much they would charge to fix it for me. that could save me a lot of time. once again greatly appreciate it.

Grey
Unread 07-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

A TBS is not the same as a RECALL

Dealer would charge 40-50 (thats a guess I dont know for sure)

If you were close I would only charge 25

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
dolson60174
1999 TJ Wrangler 

more info on it

"TSB NUMBER: 08-15-99

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: May 21, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 08-20-98 REV. A, DATED OCTOBER 2, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE BOUND TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN BOOK, PUBLICATION NUMBER 81-699-99003. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION TO THE PROCEDURE.

SUBJECT:
Erratic, Intermittent Cluster Operation/Intermittent Air Bag Warning light.

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a repair harness containing a revised instrument cluster connector.

MODELS:

1998 - 1999 (TJ) Wrangler
1998 - 1999 (XJ) Cherokee

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent illumination of the air bag warning light or an intermittent tachometer or speedometer drop out. An Airbag Electronic Control Module (AECM) fault code - "No Cluster CCD BUS" message will be present.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the DRB III(R), read and record all active and stored fault codes in the AECM. This condition is caused by minor oxidation of the BUS circuit terminals at the instrument cluster connector. Electrical terminals will show signs of oxidation, which will appear as darkened lines or marks on the cluster male terminals. These often appear as gray or black marks rather than the appearance of oxidation or corrosion usually associated with higher current carrying circuits. This condition will set a "NO CLUSTER CCD BUS" message. The fault code will usually be stored and not active. THIS TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN WILL NOT ADDRESS FUEL OR OIL PRESSURE GAUGE ISSUES. If this fault code is present, either active or stored perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 05016261AA Cluster Connector Patch Harness
1 04856975 Electric Contact Cleaner
2 04778570 Heat Shrink Tubing
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: 08-90-90-91 0.6 Hrs. "
dolson60174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.