97 XJ manual trans, died while driving-electric all good - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 XJ manual trans, died while driving-electric all good

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
BlueRojo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97 XJ manual trans, died while driving-electric all good

I have a 97 XJ with a 5 speed manual trans that died while driving (at 40 mph) last night. I looked at the gauges and tach was at zero. Full headlights, radio, fan.. I had to coast into a parking lot. The starter cranked fine but the engine never fired up. It has half a tank of gas. I popped the hood, no burning smells, no leaks, switched around the fuel relay, still no start. I shot starter fluid into the air intake and it would not start. I don't have any tools beyond a hammer and a few wrenches. I was not able to test for spark nor did I think to check the dist cap. It was a two mile walk home. Any ideas?

BlueRojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.