97 xj heater core replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 xj heater core replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Mike406
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97 xj heater core replacement

Hello All. First I would like to thank you for your time. Next; Has anyone actually replaced a 97 xj heater core? I have read the the ENTIRE dash as well as steering wheel must be removed. Is this true? This was said of my grand-am as well but was not the case when I did the job. I welcome any tips or tricks that anyone can share. Thank you again.

Mike406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
basso4735
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Oh of course.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...thread-592844/

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
docgatling
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't replaced mine, and I have a 99, so I don't know much. However, I can tell you I had to get inside the heating / cooling system to reconnect the defrost damper to its axle. The manual said the complete dash needed to be removed. I thought that was a bit silly and figured I could get it done with removal of just a few key pieces. A day later, the loss of several ounces of blood and more the a few "key peices" sitting on the drive and still nowhere near the broken part told me this was a job for the dealer. And I'll do almost anything to avoid the stealer - I mean dealer. I managed to get it done but it was not easy. however I didn't remove the steering wheel. But I had to work with the aluminum (pot metal?) dash frame in the lap!

Good luck
docgatling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
docgatling
1999 XJ Cherokee 

nice write up basso. I'll pull out motors and trannies and anything else. But the dash - It think it maybe worth the cash to let someone else do this.
docgatling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
XJmallcruiser
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Keyless fob?

Where can i get the keyless fob? Whats it supossed to look like?
XJmallcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
XJmallcruiser
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wtf? This was supossed to be a new thread... Sorry
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Desertwheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

^ nice!!! Lol
2001 Cherokee Sport, 4.5 RC Longarm, 33 Duratrac's, SYE, 4:56's, Front HP30 w/Lockrite, Autopals- Sold
Desertwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
XJmallcruiser
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lol well ive been smelling a real sweet coolant like smell when i turn on the ac so i was in here looking at what a pain itll be then i giess i hit reply instead of new thread
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Mike406
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I used Basso's writeup to do mine. The only difference is I was able to leave the steering wheel in. I used the pass shoulderbelt to hold the dash out of the way while i got my hand up inside and removed the airbox. While I had it out I changed the ac core as well. Only thing is now when I put it to defrost It doesnt blow full force, like its stuck in the middle.
Mike406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dash removal , heater core , overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.