97 XJ gas gauge won't read fuel level.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
XM_97XJ

97 XJ gas gauge won't read fuel level..

Hi, one day while I was driving my gas gauge dropped to E out of no where. Ever since it doesnt work and I've been trying to fix it for over a year, but I haven't had enough money to take it to a shop. I replaced the fuel pump module assembly thinking the sending unit was no longer good since it looked old and not good, but that didn't fix it. I also removed the cluster and checked the contacts which all look brand new. I ran the cluster self diagnostic test and the gas gauge functions perfectly fine during the test, but after it won't read the fuel level. After replacing the fuel pump module assembly the first time I turned the key to power on the truck but not start the engine, the fuel gauge moved to about a quarter tank and then dropped to E. Also when I pulled the cluster and put it back, the first time I turned the key to power on the truck but not start the engine the gas gauge moved to about half a tank or so and then dropped to E again. Please help me figure this out as I have been stuck on this for over a year with no luck. I checked the manual and it doesn't say much about how to fix it or why this is even happening. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 10:38 AM
scxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Have you been able to verify the sense wire and the ground wire for the circuit with an ohm meter? If not you should. Given that the pump assy was replaced and the Inst. cluster checks out.

This is a link from another forum.. good luck
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gas...176424/index2/
post #3 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 02:14 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

verify the sensor wire is putting out signal as mentioned above.

it is vaguely possible you've lost the float, but that's more of a sasquatch problem. As in a lot of people know somebody who knows somebody who saw it, but you don't find many (if any) first hand accounts.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
XM_97XJ

Hi, thank you both for your response, it's very appreciated. I finally found out what the problem was after reading another forum where someone had a similar problem. The wires that go from the fuel pump assembly and lead into the cab by the back seat were electric taped together and one of these wires (the one that leads to the fuel pump relay/ green wire with a white line) was melted so bad that it melted the insulation off all the other wires and the copper inside each wire were all touching shorting out the gas gauge. I disconnected the battery and then carefully cut the rubber on each wire to separate them and then wrapped the exposed copper with electric tape. I was informed on another forum to replace these wires by cutting them, getting new wire, soldering them onto the old ones and then splice and heat shrink the wires. Is this the best option? Any other suggestions are highly appreciated?? Thanks again.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Patching the wires is probably your best bet long-term. Electrical tape will only hold up so long in an exposed location like that, especially since it clearly gets hot and because the wires are already missing insulation. If you're really not looking forward to that, you can postpone the issue by adding any kind of additional scuff/heat shielding. Typically the split tubing stuff you see on a lot of the wire bundles in the jeep. Still, intact insulation over most of it and heat shrink over any splices is preferable.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
XM_97XJ

By patching wires do you mean buying new wires and then soldering them on or splicing them and then use heat shrink over the wires to secure insulation? I haven't ever really had hands on experience with anything electrical or wiring honestly. Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 01:36 PM
scxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you resolved it. You could do a little practice soldering on some scrap wire. But anyway, I would replace the wire, making sure you slide the heatshrink on 1st (tough to put in on after its soldered). Solder the connection and slide the heatshrink over the solder joint. use a heatgun if you have one or a disposable lighter if you don't. Then wrap it back up with black electrical tape
post #8 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
XM_97XJ

Thanks. Ok, cool. I'll end up doing this as soon as I can get some new wires, and the tool to solder them on there with the heat shrinks. Thanks again for the useful information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.