97+ XJ Blower Motor Removal and Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97+ XJ Blower Motor Removal and Replacement

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

97+ XJ Blower Motor Removal and Replacement

before you start laughing, I know this is a simple operation, but some folks haven't changed out blower motors as many times as the rest of us. I figured I'd help out all those in the "fan does not blow" boat.

If your heater/air conditioning fan has a mind of it's own or if the blower motor only works if you hit it with a blunt object, then this is the fix.

First of all buy a new blower motor. You can find them new for between $160 and $220. I'm sure some of you can find a better deal. Personally I think the prices of the 97+ fans are insane. I remember getting the old style ones for next to nothing.

Next, if it's this cold out find a heated garage.

The tools you need:
1 1/4" ratchet with an extension and an 8mm socket.

Now, you should disconnect your battery. I chose to live dangerously and skipped this step.

Locate your blower motor. It's under the hood on the passenger side firewall. Reach in and pull out the plug.

Remove the three screws (the brightly colored stars highlighting their positions) holding the fan in.

Now it's time to remove the fan.

This can be a bit tricky, but if you think of it like a chinese puzzle and get the flanges for the screws out around the wire bundles, you'll be ok.

There, one crap motor and fan.

mortalenema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Now it's time to pu in the new one.

Wrestle the new unit in past the hoses and bundles.

Push it in.

The flanges at the bottom need to go in first.

Put the screws back in, starting them by hand.

Once the screws are in tight, plug in your new fan.

All done.

Remember to reconnect your battery (if you chose to play it safe.)

Get in your mighty 97+ XJ and feel the wind whistling through your ankles!

There you go. I hope this helps at least one person out.
Unread 01-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BTW here's what was wrong:

Bad brush.
Unread 01-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

does that mean that u cant fix it...if u could fix it it sounds like they are in demand so u could sell it for a pretty penny....great write up by the way....my is still kickin (knock on wood)...great pics too
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Jeepokee

What were the signs of it going bad for you? I just had an issue with mine that on the lower left corner the seal was visible and it was letting water in and wetting the passenger side carpet real good. So I just got some sealant stuff and gunked it up all in there from both sides and it doesn't leak now.
Unread 01-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Signs of it going bad?
Some times the fan is not running when the switch is on. Then it just starts up when it feels like it. If the passenger kicks the dash or if you go under the hood and hit the fan it starts up.
Those are the signs.

I don't know about your leak, jeepokee, but I get a leak in the cab when the A/C is on in the summer. My theory is that my sagging rear leafs are setting my XJ at an angle that does not fully drain the A/C condensation. I cheked the drain and it's clear. Maybe I am just over thinking it.

bmyohn, I probably could fix it if I hadn't ripped the **** out of it. I just wanted to open it up for fun.
Unread 01-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
B-g20

this will be helpful for me as soon as i get the money to buy a new motor. I'm about sick of no heat or ac...thanks for the great write-up....do you just unbolt and move all the other crap out of the way to get it out?

[COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Clemson Offroad[/B][/COLOR]
B-g20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The only thing you can unbolt is the A/C canister, and even then it won't move much. I just sqweezed it through the space provided. I've done this job on several XJs of differing ages. Patience and knowing it will fit through the cramped confines is key.
Unread 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
B-g20

well i just purchased a new blower motor and will be tackling this thing whenever it gets here...i couldnt see the bolts but now that you've pointed them out i see them. I will try to keep my patience, sometimes it's tough. thanks again.

[COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Clemson Offroad[/B][/COLOR]
B-g20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
yabba1124
1999 XJ Cherokee 

what would i have to do to get the whole case out to put a new seal on there?
yabba1124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What do you mean by "whole case"? You'd have to remove most of your interior and take out the heater core to get anything else out.

Nice thread necromancy, by the way.
Unread 01-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
TXjeep97

But I'm glad he brought it back to life! I'm seconds away from doing this and you just saved my dash from some missing screws!!!! Thanks!
TXjeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
pearl-g

thanks a ot guys for the help! i think it is located behind the windshield washer fluid tank
pearl-g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i have a 2001 XJ and my AC/Heat only works on setting 4 (highest one), since its both A/C and Heat iv come to the conclusion it has to be the fan, or some modulator or something like that. im not very mechanically inclined, im learning haha. but would you suggest i try this out? has anyone else had a problem similar to mine?
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Try reading this thread. I'm sure it's just the resistor pack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.