97 Cherokee wiring diagrams - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 Cherokee wiring diagrams

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
rnrandy

97 Cherokee wiring diagrams

Anybody out there have any wiring diagrams for the powertrain for 97 xj im having problems with? I dont want to buy them off the internet and the garbage haynes book i have thats supposed to cover 84-01 doesnt have anything for wiring past OBD1, so i figured i would ask my fellow jeepers. thanks

rnrandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

the wiring diagrams for the later XJ's are MANY pages long. Even the 'powertrain' section is probably 30+ pages. If you give us some better details on what you are trying to fix, I might be able to email you some specific pages in PDF format.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
rnrandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
If you give us some better details on what you are trying to fix, I might be able to email you some specific pages in PDF format.
well, its a combo of a few things. im having problems with the o2 sensors, neutral safety sw, and a misfire in cyl #2 with about 8 or so codes total. the o2 sensors are giving me the same codes for both sensors (shorted to voltage a heater code) and a few for the neutral switch. being as the trucks specialty is mudd and flying through the air, i suspect broken wires and corrosion as some potential problems. ive already fixed some wires going to the computer and the upstream o2 but codes keep comming back. so i want to check if they share any of the same circuitry being as its unlikely that both sensors fail with the same codes at around the same time. the o2 sensors have already been changed a few times by my buddy (its his rig) so they "should" be fine. so i guess what i need is the o2 sensor diagrams, the ones for the neutral safety sw, and i would like to have the pin out chart for the computer connector.
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
rnrandy

so i had a chance to look at the jeep this weekend and figured out what the problem with the o2 sensors was. i looked at some wiring diagrams that i was able to find and i noticed that there was a fuse for the o2 sensors. i checked it and sure enough it was blown. put a new one in and went through the drive cycle to run the o2 sensor monitor and all the codes for the o2 sensors went away. now all i have to do is figure out the issue with the misfire.
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

clean or replace the NSS, cylinder 2 misfire, check the easy ones. confirm spark and injector pulse. check the state of tune, you may have a bad plug, but they all may need replacing. maybe even check compression in the number 2 hole while you have the plug out.
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
rnrandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
clean or replace the NSS, cylinder 2 misfire, check the easy ones. confirm spark and injector pulse. check the state of tune, you may have a bad plug, but they all may need replacing. maybe even check compression in the number 2 hole while you have the plug out.
yeah i plan on doing all that when i get a chance. i was only worried about the o2s codes because they came on right off the bat and he needed to smog it. so now that they arnt there i can smog it when i get to work in the morning because the misfire code takes a while to come on. ive just been really busy so i wanted to tackle the important stuff. ill probly check everything tomorrow after work. i know he did a tune up not too long ago so the cap wires and rotor should still be fine, the plugs im not too sure about.
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

if you have a misfire, youll probably fail you smog testing. also the "important stuff" would be the misfire
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
rnrandy

nope, suprisingly its not failing for emissions, just the functional check on the computer. and the only thing it was failing for in the functional was the o2 sensor codes. like i said, it takes a while for all the other codes to come back. and the misfire code pops up when you stab the throttle in neutral and let off imediatly and the engine runs rough for a second then goes back to normal. or if you slow down realllly quick. sometimes it will set a p0300 in addition to the p0302. i think the cyl 2 misfire may be an injector because the computer triggers the injector so much faster when you stab the throttle that it heats it up and takes a second for it to cool.
Unread 07-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
maxwedge
2000 XJ Cherokee 

[URL="http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html''] try out this website let me know how it works out for you.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
rnrandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
[URL="http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html''] try out this website let me know how it works out for you.
yeah, i looked into that forum before. doesnt really seem that active though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.