97 cherokee sport won't start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 cherokee sport won't start

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would try testing the "camshaft position sensor". It is located inside of the distributor. It controls fuel injector timing as well as other things. As long as you have the meter out, I'd also test the "coolant temp sensor" located on the thermostat housing.

In rare cases, both of these can fail in a way that gives the engine management system fits and prevent the engine from starting. I've personally seen both of them cause a no-start with spark/fuel present.

tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, let's go back to the basics.
You need three things for it to start, air/fuel/spark, and it sounds like you have fuel seeing your plugs are wet and unless you have a major plug in the air inlet you have air.
This leaves you only one option....

It can get real frustrating, just step back and think a minute, because you are missing something.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
I would try testing the "camshaft position sensor". It is located inside of the distributor. It controls fuel injector timing as well as other things. As long as you have the meter out, I'd also test the "coolant temp sensor" located on the thermostat housing.

In rare cases, both of these can fail in a way that gives the engine management system fits and prevent the engine from starting. I've personally seen both of them cause a no-start with spark/fuel present.
Xjs have a crankshaft not a camshaft and a bad cps wouldn't give his symptoms. A bad tps would
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycoglitch View Post
Xjs have a crankshaft not a camshaft and a bad cps wouldn't give his symptoms. A bad tps would
XJ's have a Cam Position Sensor in the distributor ( or cam sensor assembly used with the distributor-less ignition ), and have a Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Unless you can link to some threads where similar symptoms were caused by the TPS, a faulty TPS is not the problem here.

I am going to go with the more common, and more logical suspects which often cause similar symptoms as described:

1) low battery voltage due to dirty wire connections
2) Cam Position (Pick-up) Sensor or wire harness issues
3) Crankshaft Position Sensor or wire harness issues
4) A short circuit on another of the 5 volt sensors pulling down the CCD-Bus.

And, like tjwalker, I am wondering if the coil has been tested yet ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.