97 cherokee sport won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 cherokee sport won't start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Mushu1431

97 cherokee sport won't start

97 cherokee has spark has fuel at the rail replaced cps still nothing. I noticed that if I prop the throttle open all the way it tries to start like it wants to pop off but won't, it won't start with starting fluid either, all the gauges work no check engine light good compression, giving me a headache! Help please!

Mushu1431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Mushu1431

Oh and it's a sport 4.0
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are all the tune-up parts fresh ? Have you tested the fuel pressure ? Did you try numerous times to start the engine and flood it ? How old is the battery ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You mentioned it has spark, but does it have GOOD spark. You must have a snapping, BLUE spark to start the engine. White/orange/yellow indicates a weak spark which is not likely going to start the engine.

A weak spark is usually caused by a faulty ignition coil. The coil can be tested for both primary and secondary resistances with a manual and a meter.

Good luck and keep us udpated!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Mushu1431

All new cap rotor plugs wires coil pickup plate, pulled all the plugs out and cranked it around to blow out any fuel, starting fluid in the cylinders, haven't checked fuel pressure yet but I pushed the needle in on fuel rail and sprayed out really good
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So you go to start the jeep. You turn the key and you hear the engine crank correct? And it only turns over with your foot on the gas peddle or it never turns over. Possible TPS issue

Sent from the jeep cause my owner is drunk again
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Mushu1431

yeah cranks over fine
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushu1431
yeah cranks over fine
It cranks just doesn't turn over. And when you put your foot on the gas she turns over?

Sent from the jeep cause my owner is drunk again
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Mushu1431

spark wasn't blue.
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Mushu1431

wont run at all, if I crank it with the gas pedal all the way to the floor it huffs n puffs like its about to turn over. if I try and crank it without the pedal down it just cranks
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but when you hold the pedal to the floor you are cutting off the fuel pump. On the old carb vehicles you used to have to do this when they flooded.
Pull the plugs and let it air out overnight. It's probably so wet in there that's why it won't start. I have never sprayed starting fluid in the cylinders directly, you should only need to spray it in the air inlet.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Wait have you had the battery load tested to? A don't just replace the TPS. There should be a write up either here or on cherokee forum about testing with a multi meter
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
Mushu1431

battery is only 4 months old
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushu1431 View Post
battery is only 4 months old
Im giving you the easy free things to check.still do it. Another free thing to try it this.

Get in jeep. Turn key to accesory. Don't start. Turn key off. Turn to accesory again. Let the fuel pump prime three times. After that then start. If jeep starts you may have a bad check valve. These are the free things to check. Im still leaning towards TPS so test that
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Mushu1431

Tried the prime the fuel pump, didn't work. Put a new coil on still nothing, pulled plugs all have a little gas on them, aahhh! About to pull some hair out

Tags
fuel , spark , won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.