97 4.0 engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97 4.0 engine swap

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
hagenjc9
1990 MJ Comanche 

97 4.0 engine swap

Hey everyone, I'm looking at swapping engines between my 2 Cherokee's. One is a 99, 4.0, with an aw4, the other is a 97, 4.0, with an ax-15. My question is how much of a straight up swap will it be, and does having different transmissions affect the swap at all.
P.S. I am only swapping engines so the trans are staying in the Cherokee's.

Thanks

hagenjc9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What engine is going in what year?
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagenjc9 View Post
........ question is how much of a straight up swap will it be, and does having different transmissions affect the swap at all.
P.S. I am only swapping engines so the trans are staying in the Cherokee's.

Thanks
The engine blocks are interchangeable. Most or all of the sensors are the same. The flywheel may need to be changed.

Re-use or purchase any original parts or sensors and install on the donor engine as needed/required.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
DIEMS_94YJ

the 97 4L engine will not have the ear on the bottom right front of the engine block to bolt a/c compressor on.. i just pulled a 98 GC engine and tried to install it into my 02 GC, and it will be very difficult if i can modify it to work.. the cylinder head wont have the holes to bolt the ignition coil rail to it (not a huge deal) and almost every accessory swapped.
im hoping someone will chime in who has successfully done this already, as these 99-04 engines are rare, and apparently weak in the pistons, or piston skirts. I pulled the pan off my 02 4L engine and the piston was in around 100 pieces :/
DIEMS_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

DIEMS_94YJ, posting in the correct section of the Forum will help you find the right answers. This is the XJ Cherokee sections and from your reply I would guess you want to be in the WJ Grand Cherokee section.

This is the correct XJ engine swap info.

4.0L Engine Block Interchange

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine blocks will interchange.

Remove and re-use as needed or required: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, fan belt driven accessories, sensors. If your donor engine has the distributor-less ignition, the parts can be removed and a distributor re-used and installed in it place.

If you have a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.

0331 head interchange:
XJ Cherokee '00-01
WJ Grand Cherokee 99-04
TJ Wrangler 00-06

Non XJ/ZJ engine block interchange:
WJ Grand Cherokee 99-04
TJ Wrangler 00-06

1990-2001 XJ and 1993-98 ZJ 4.0L engine blocks interchange. 2000+ TJ and 1999+ WJ 4.0L engine blocks interchange. XJ/ZJ and WJ/TJ engine block DO NOT interchange, (however, 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will fit in XJ/ZJ).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These re-designed WJ/TJ engine blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ blocks. The motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.