97-01 Automatic Shifter Knob Removal & Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 97-01 Automatic Shifter Knob Removal & Replacement

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97-01 Automatic Shifter Knob Removal & Replacement

I think I broke my automatic shifter knob when trying to remove it from the assembly. I was trying to remove the center console and needed to remove the shifter handle to get it out.

Does anyone know how to reinstall this knob? It appears as though my button is still working ok, but the knob doesn't seem to attach properly to the shifter assembly.

I think the shifter handle is broken. Do you guys think I need a whole new assembly or just the shifter handle?

Attached are some photos:

Thanks!

-Topianno

shifterhandle.jpg   shifterassembly.jpg   bareknob.jpg  
gabejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

looks like the plastic retainer in the handle broke, find yourself a new handle and you should be good to go.
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

could you make the pics larger please

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone know how to install a new handle?
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabejeep View Post
Does anyone know how to install a new handle?
reverse the way you uninstalled the old one, it just pops on and off.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I broke it when I removed it. I don't want to break it again reinstalling a new one. Anyone have any idea how to put this thing back on?
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

acquire "new" handle, place on to shifter rod, smack with hammer/rubber mallet/hand until seated on rod, enjoy.

I'm not joking when i say it pops off and back on, most people hit them selves in the face pulling up to remove them, it takes a good bit of force.
Unread 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
acquire "new" handle, place on to shifter rod, smack with hammer/rubber mallet/hand until seated on rod, enjoy.

I'm not joking when i say it pops off and back on, most people hit them selves in the face pulling up to remove them, it takes a good bit of force.
evean better when there no back seats
yeah just place the new one on and give it a hit with your palm or a hammer
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Skyway,
Do you think my old one might still work? Is there any specific way it fits on? Or do you just pound away at it?
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I put it on there and smacked it with a rubber mallot to try and get it fitted on there. The plastic broke on the handle and the lever, so turns out thats bad advice. i had to order a whole new shifter assembly...
Unread 06-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well, I put it on there and smacked it with a rubber mallot to try and get it fitted on there. The plastic broke on the handle and the lever, so turns out thats bad advice. i had to order a whole new shifter assembly...
Pretty sure you hit it crooked. I've lots a tab or two inside my handle, but it's been working fine.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
did you use a mallet or a heavy steel hammer? but honestly thats the way you get it back on.. just smack it. id cancle that shifter assembly order and just grab a handle out of one at the junkyard. or you can get one from a grand cherokee.
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
id cancle that shifter assembly order and just grab a handle out of one at the junkyard. or you can get one from a grand cherokee.
junkyard is the way to go, i got a ZJ handle for like 1$, the whole assembly would probably be about 10-30$
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

it should pop off pretty easily with a little force (as stated watch your face). I did mine the first time and it came off easily with mild force and went back on the same way.

I hear the offset Grand Cherokee handles are a bit nicer and fir the Cherokee shifter.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
automatic , handle , shifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.