96 XJ thermostat out still overheat to 240s - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 XJ thermostat out still overheat to 240s

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #46
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawitgk View Post
Oh and the thermostat is 160*F opening thermostat. So it shouldn't really be running at 210 technically.
You need to stop thinking that the thermostat is key to what temp the engine will run at. It's not. The stat only sets the engine's minimum temp. Most 4.0s run at 200-210 with 195 degree stats (including my own; that's how it's supposed to work). If it runs at 200+ with a 195, it'll run at 200+ with a 160.

If your aux fan is on all the time, I don't understand at all how turning the AC on would affect your temps so drastically. Turning your heat on would though because doing that essentially adds your heater core to the cooling equation as a mini radiator.

Have you ever verified these temps with a more reliable instrument like an IR gun? I know you replaced the sensor/sender, but those things are not very accurate and can be faulty out of the box.

Have you thoroughly flushed (forward and backward) the system?

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #47
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on the temp verification. Maybe I missed something in one your posts but the suggestion was made way back and I have not seen a response to it ??? In other words you could be wasting a lot of time and money chasing a problem that does not exist.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #48
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

mschi and cbenze - I hear you loud and clear on both the function of the thermostat and gauge. So next step is going to be check the temp with IR gun and see wasup. If I have done all this and the gauge is off I'm gonna feel stupid. Nonetheless I will update you and own up to it ;-) thanks again!!!!
dawitgk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #49
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Meh don't feel bad I believe I told you a little earlier on I was having an issue somewhat like this and that my gauge is off... You would be suprized at how many things I changed out before I had a buddy hit it with his ir gun... Don't feel bad either the way I saw it in the end was no new part put on a car is a waste eventually you where probably gonna replace it anyways especially with cooling equipment
infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #50
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Infob- thanks bro. Yeah I agree a new part is a new part. Interestingly, I tried to call around to see if any one has one for rent. Nada! I have to buy one. They are not too expensive but then again I don't want to buy the cheapest one if its gonna give me false reading. So I looked at amazon and they any where from $14 to $80. So I'm contemplating on what to do. On the other hand I thought about buying a new sensor and sender. They are both new but when I went into this trouble shooting business, I replaced everything twice except for these two. So like you said, these things do come faulty outta the box. But both? I don't know it's certainly possible. However the gauge is now staring me in the face too. Arrrrgggghhh! I think I'm going with the IR gun first then do those guys if that is the case. I will keep you posted!

Thanks man!
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #51
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The ir gun would be the better investment at this point... If you keep up replacing parts you may never get it to read right if it is off and only a couple ways to test that and that's with the ir gun...

If I had the spare cash I would buy one but if your really strapped I think you where looking at the wrong place... Most little shops will do free check engine lights and tell you what code came up... If you find a shop that does that then you more than likely found a shop that would be happy to hit the tstat housing with an ir gun for free after all it takes even less time than plugging in a scan tool...

I believe after all my researching mine is reading wrong because I was cheap and purchased aftermarket cheap oem knock off sender and sensor... I have a feeling that if I purchased a true oem sender and sensor from mopar parts it would be more accurate... I'm just cheap and lazy and don't get bothered by the fact it is off by 30 degrees give or take... I rigged up a toggle switch to my e fan so it doesn't really matter...

I would call up a few of your local 4x4 shops first before asking normal shops because I found that in are expensive hobby you want to have a main shop to handle all your 4x4 needs... Just like any shopping place you want a good atmosphere with people you know and can talk to confidently... Even if I can get a part for a few bucks cheaper online I still go to my preferred local shop
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #52
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If its driveable most repair or AC shops have one they would gladly check your running temp with.

Or get one at a big box store and return it when your done.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #53
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Holder350 & Infob! You guys are awesome! There is an AC shop with friendly people and I bet they will help me do that. Or else the big box shop will have to take one for the team. Lol! Thanks guys.
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #54
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Good luck if it turns out to be reading wrong and you fix it let me know what you did so I can try the fix out on mine
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #55
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Copy that bro! Will do for sure!
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #56
Bobplymouth
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Oh and the thermostat is 160*F opening thermostat. So it shouldn't really be running at 210 technically.
If the outside temperature was about 20 degrees, you would be running

around 180, and not much heat from your heater.

I have been running without a thermostat in my old 38 Plymouth. It gets up

to about 100 degree in cold weather, summer about 170. With the new

thermostat (180), I run at 180 summer, and winter.

Our XJs are designed to run with 195 stats. Running too cold or too hot

for very long will cause many problems later. Seems to me, your problems

are in the fans or fan switchs....good luck....
Bobplymouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #57
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Holder350 & Infob! You guys are awesome! There is an AC shop with friendly people and I bet they will help me do that. Or else the big box shop will have to take one for the team. Lol! Thanks guys.
Harbor Freight sells a cheap laser pointer equipped IR heat probe that I find works quite well for the money. They are about $20.

If you live in Spokane, there is a Harbor Freight right in town.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #58
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yes I do live in spokane. I will look for them if the AC place lames out. Thanks bro!
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #59
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure if y'all as still around but I did the IR temp gun thing on the suggestion by Infob and it turns out the engine is running 25 degrees cooler at least by the IR Gun. The indash gauge would read 210 and thermostat housing would read 185.5 or so with the IR gun.

I know I have coolant temp "monitoring" points; one is upfront towards the radiator whereas the other one is at the back of the engine by the drivers side. I think I am going to replace the one at the back of the engine which, I suspect, is the temp sensor.

Thoughts?
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #60
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The one at the back off the head reads to the gauge, the one bat the thermostat housing breads to the ECM

Hopefully changing the sensor will fix your problem.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.