96 XJ thermostat out still overheat to 240s - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 XJ thermostat out still overheat to 240s

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Didn't think of that.... I do remember reading a warning from another thread that when replacing the lower hose take the spring out since the new one normally doesn't have one...

Hope that fixes it for you! Also check the junkyard just a quick squeeze will tell you if you found one

infob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #32
X-Rated
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Coat hanger is a good idea too but idk if it would rust out right away, i used galvanized steel wire. Itll rust out eventually im sure but should take a lot longer.
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #33
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
Coat hanger is a good idea too but idk if it would rust out right away, i used galvanized steel wire. Itll rust out eventually im sure but should take a lot longer.
Antifreeze has rust inhibitors in it. Otherwise the cast iron of the head and block would be gone in a couple years.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #34
X-Rated
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Antifreeze has rust inhibitors in it. Otherwise the cast iron of the head and block would be gone in a couple years.

Sent from my phone
Wouldnt know it by the three or four cups of rust mud that came out of my cooling system after 2 years of storage. Lol

I didnt think of that, otherwise there probly wouldnt be much of a motor left after a while.

I almost wanna say change that fan clutch again, or at least check the resistance when the motor is hot. Like i stated before mine had plenty of resistance when cool but barely any when hot.
Worth a shot anyways
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Holder- wachu think about going electric? I'm thinking about getting an electric fan with 1500cfm and getting rid of the mechanical fan. Thoughts?
dawitgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #36
Viper3

[QUOTE="Holder350"]Put a thermostat back in it....no thermostat at all will cause overheating.

The thermostat only opens when the temp reaches the set temperature if you take it out it should just take a little longer to heat up

Hint: if you take it out in the winter you will not have to wait for the car to warm up before you have a heater that gets hot
But the reason it is there is to make sure the car reaches optimal running temperature
Viper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #37
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I can't say from personal experience but have read that removing the thermostat can indeed cause overheating... I'm not sold on the theory but I guess the reason why is because without the added obstruction of the thermostat in the line coolant cycles through the system fast enough that the radiator and fans are incapable of cooling the antifreeze as fast as it flows
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #38
playbass
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
I simply went to the hardware store, bought a spool of wire and "borrowed" a piece of pvc pipe about the diameter of the hose and wrapped the wire around it making the spring right there in the store.
Getting it into the hise was a battle but i cant collapse the hose by hand so im guessing its all good.

Im not even sure dealers sell the springs anymore.
New hoses are supposed to be stiffer but they sure dont feel like it so i made the spring.
The dealership still sells the lower hose with a spring. I bought one last fall. Cost 60$ though. :-(
playbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #39
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawitgk View Post
Holder- wachu think about going electric? I'm thinking about getting an electric fan with 1500cfm and getting rid of the mechanical fan. Thoughts?
Electric fans are THE way to go in my opinion. They do what thermostatic fan clutches try to do without the limitations other have.

An electric fan moves air at the best of its ability, no matter what the engine speed happens to be. So setting in traffic on a hot summer day is not a problem because your cooling fan is moving its maximum amount of air even tho the engine is at idle.

Now, however....most people screw up electric fan installation.

Not to the point to say they don't work, but in my opinion they don't work at the best of their abilities.

The signal to turn the fans on should come from a thermostatic control set to just above the engine's normal operating temperature. That way cruseing down the road the fans are OFF because you have plenty of air flowing over the radiator. This will also contribute to an increase in fuel mileage. (Be it a small one)

But none the less either way you decide to wire them up they cool much better than stock, and I think you'll be very happy with them.

Sent from my phone

Quote:
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3 View Post
Hint: if you take it out in the winter you will not have to wait for the car to warm up before you have a heater that gets hot
But the reason it is there is to make sure the car reaches optimal running temperature
This is incorrect. The water pump pumps water thru the engine and into the heater core with the thermostat closed or open.

The thermostat is there to facilitate letting the motor get to operating temp quickly.

Sent from my phone

Quote:
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #41
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350

This is incorrect. The water pump pumps water thru the engine and into the heater core with the thermostat closed or open.

The thermostat is there to facilitate letting the motor get to operating temp quickly.

Sent from my phone
Indeed if you ever replace your thermostat you will notice the open channel on the right side of the thermostat... That is the channel that coolant flows into the heater core
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #42
Viper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infob

Indeed if you ever replace your thermostat you will notice the open channel on the right side of the thermostat... That is the channel that coolant flows into the heater core
Ok just talking trough experience, I never noticed an open channel.

But in all of my Cherokees the thermostat out has never caused over heating
Viper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #43
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3

Ok just talking trough experience, I never noticed an open channel.

But in all of my Cherokees the thermostat out has never caused over heating
I cant say either way to be honest... I would assume aslong as your cooling system is functioning properly it would stay cool with or without the thermostat... Just going off of other peoples claims and experiences... I am an odd one though i know there are many components a motor could do with out I just prefer to repair/replace whatever I remove or is broken...

Guess its really circumstantial some people had overheating when removing the thermostat some didn't...
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #44
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Update- ok so after all the work I have put into the jeep, it is doing better. I did two things 1st I put back the thermostat and drilled a hole on top to let "trapped air" come out if it f&$@&& wishes to. 2nd I took back the radiator and exchanged it for another new one (same model and mfg). The XJ now stays at 210 but with the auxiliary fan going all the time.

Now here is the kicker- when I turn on the AC full blast, the temp goes DOWN to about 180. If I turn it to heat or vent the temp again goes down to 180. If no AC or Vent and auxiliary fan is off, temp crosses the 210 mark and has go as close to red line as it can before I shut the engine down. WTF?

Decipher this riddle for me gents!

Thank you!
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #45
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and the thermostat is 160*F opening thermostat. So it shouldn't really be running at 210 technically.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.