96 XJ thermostat out still overheat to 240s - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 XJ thermostat out still overheat to 240s

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I believe I have read on here in a few threads that it's typical for a 230 reading while running the ac... I experienced that when it's 75+ degrees outside in nearly every vehicle I have owned with the exception of the delivery van I drive which sits at about 215 with ac on....

infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Agreed except with a thermostat that opens at 160, I would expect to run low. Not the case. I am going to change out the mechanical fan for an electric one. I'm sure that will help some but that is not going to be a solution as to why she is doing this.
dawitgk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The electric fan swap should help it out alot I would think... I believe a good electric has more cfm and you won't have any drag from it... But keep in mind that even if you had a 190 stat in there it would more than likely run at the same temp it's at now from what I understand... Either 160 or 190 are both gonna be wide open at 230 degrees so the fact that it's opening sooner is moot...
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

All statements from my posts can either be denied or confirmed by more educated folks... I am far from a mechanic just throw in what I've learned over the years hoping its accurate found that I learn alot trying to trouble shoot something with someone and every now and the I actually end up helping someone
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Infbob! You are indeed correct bud! 160 or 190 if I'm up at 230 it doesn't matter cuz they wide open as you pointed out. The electric fan swap will help in that it is mor CFM and like you said the drag goes away! I'm just surprised that it wants to go as high as 230s 240s despite everything I have done! I'm not even sure that the shop will figure it out. I have taken care of my jeep since inception and has never been abused. It should have not any reason to blow a head gasket!
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Got a combustion test kit? If not maybe the local schucks has one they could lend you? That way your never second guessing if it's bad or not
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #22
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I'm affraid what it's gonna show. I did borrow one from auto zone yesterday and tried it. I flipped the bulb and it sucked in coolant so that test was a bust. Cleaned it out and tried it again and this time it was sucking in air but no color change to yellow. So, I'm not sure if I should call that a false negative or trust it.
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ha just try pumping it every minute for 15 minutes and then go have a beer to celebrate if it don't change color... Or if it does have several beers to get the desire to pull your head
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hahahaha! On it bro! It will likely be more like a bottle of makers mark and drink myself silly the whole time *****ing "I can't believe this ****!"
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Makes you feel any better my gauge started acting funny again... Back to the fun time of being 30 degrees hotter than the actual temp... There must be a short somewhere messing up the sender... There is always something that just don't want to be fixed despite the effort put into fixing it...

Am considering dumping the stock gauge putting in an aftermarket kit and setting up a toggle switch to control the e fan
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
X-Rated
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had similar issues, replaced entire cooling system at a campground on a wheeling trip. Only thing i didnt replace was the fan clutch because it felt tight enough. Figured out later that when the fan clutch got hot it loosened up big time. Actually took it to a mechanic (first time for the jeep). He couldnt fugure it out either, lol.

Is your lower hose collapsing?
Thats all i can think besides head gasket
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #27
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

X-Rated: hey man I haven't thought about that. I replaced the lower hose about a year ago. I remember the OE had a spring in it. But the replacement did not. May be there is something there bro! But that's gonna mean going to the dealer. Like Infobob, Jeep and I are allergic to dealers and mechanics. Once They wanted $1500 duckies to replace my tranny solenoids. I bought the solenoids for $207 and did it myself in 1hr. Suck it!
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #28
X-Rated
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I simply went to the hardware store, bought a spool of wire and "borrowed" a piece of pvc pipe about the diameter of the hose and wrapped the wire around it making the spring right there in the store.
Getting it into the hise was a battle but i cant collapse the hose by hand so im guessing its all good.

Im not even sure dealers sell the springs anymore.
New hoses are supposed to be stiffer but they sure dont feel like it so i made the spring.
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #29
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Coat hanger works good too.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #30
dawitgk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Xrated and Holder350- Solid copy on the alternatives! Smart! The mission will be underway tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.