Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

96 XJ start and die

922 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Kapten 
#1 ·
Hello!
Just bought this 1996 4.0 petrol XJ and it has a strange issue!! Lots of things replaced, ground points cleaned but it still dies after a few strokes?!
Replaced:
Full distributor+leads+plugs+coil
Crank sensor
FUel pump+filter
Idle air controller
Throttle position sensor
MAP sensor

No vacuum leaks, it just starts and dies. Sometimes when playing with gas I get it to rev up to 3000 but it still dies. Any ideas?

#7 ·
That must have been a cool feeling when it fired up. Good job!

#9 ·
Now, today put everything back and fired it up. Idle aint perfect, seems like the engine is wobbling a bit, and I can't get it to rev past 3000. Found out that the transmission is out of oil, like totally empty (there's a leak down there) have to look which seals i have to replace. Could the rev problem be because of tranny? It also says on my dash "PART TIME". What the hell does that mean? Sorry, this is my first 4x4.

#12 ·
Looks like it is time to test the engine rather than try odd suggestions. We all do it.

Have you downloaded the fault codes?

#14 ·
If I was getting a start-then-die with NO engine codes. The first two things I would want to start checking would be (both equally important):

1. The operation of the fuel pump, and fuel pressure (even if it was just replaced)
2. Electrical connections, ground connections, and proper system voltage (battery cables, posts, clamps, all ground connections cleaned and reconnected)

#15 ·
The fuel pump is brand new and is working perfect.
Today i disconnected the exhaust after the manifold, and reset the distributor AGAIN. Turned the key and the car started! But, after like 10-15 minutes of warming up, the idle started to jump +-50rpm and after 10 seconds the engine died. And after 1.5 hours it's not starting anymore. (well, it did a couple of strokes, like 5 seconds and during that time the rpm gauge showed me 0 rpm)
All of this, is giving me an idea, that it's either the crank sensor or cam sensor, since the crank sensor was replaced a week before i bought this pita car.
Another idea is that it's maybe the fuel pressure regulator, since even today, after i got the engine running again, it didn't go past 2k rpm (the exhaust was open so no cat clogging)
Yeah, im in Perth and the stores here don't have a correct fuel pressure tester or compression tested (even if they did it would cost too much)
Another funny thing to mention, which led me thinking is the coolant sensor?, because today when the engine was running, the fans were blowing in full speed, but i read somewhere this happens either if the engines coolant is hot or the sensor unplugged.

#18 ·
So, since I bought the car and it came with a receipt of 300 dollars for cank sensor, I thought it was okay, because the car had driven 5 km after that. Today I decided to rip it off to see the number on the part, it's 56027866AC, seems to be a mopar sensor for 97-01 cherokee, BUT decoded my VIN 1j4fjb8s7tl329641 and it said the car is 96. SO?? COuld all of this be because of the wrong crank sensor?!?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.