96 XJ Just installed RC 3" add a leaf Vibrations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 XJ Just installed RC 3" add a leaf Vibrations

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
RestoringDadsCJ
1946 CJ2A 

96 XJ Just installed RC 3" add a leaf Vibrations

Hey guys I have a 96 XJ Sport I just installed a 3" RC with lower control arms and real add a leafs. I had some decent vibrations around 35 to 50 especially when I let off the gas, So I dropped my TC 1" using Grade 8 washers stacked and welded together since the drop didnt come with the kit.

85% of the total vibration is now gone, and when I let off the gas the vibration has gone but theres still some vibration around the 35 to 50mph mark, but more so around 65 now.

The front drive shaft is the double cardan style, and the front U joint has been replaced by me, I had no idea how to change to 2 on the other end so left them be. But appear to be in good shape, no slop or anything.

The rear drive shaft has to rubber boot on it going into the Transfer case,not sure the name of that style of drive shaft but none of those U joints have been replaced. Appear to be in good working order.

Im running a new set of Cooper STT's 31 x10.5 x15's on stock steel Jeep wheels.

And I havent had a front end alighnment since the tires or the lift kit, was trying to wait till I replace the track bar and other steering components with heavy duty gear.

So any ideas would be of great help guys

RestoringDadsCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Either you have a worn u-joint, or your pinion angles are off and need adjusting. Start with some fresh u-joints, they are cheap and relatively easy to install.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
RestoringDadsCJ
1946 CJ2A 

Copy that. I was wondering if there were some type of shims I could put on the back axle? If so any particular degree?
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That is the pinion angle checking/adjusting part. Shims are possibly needed.

Start with fresh u-joints, often a new lift will stress a weak u-joint, and vibes will show up.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've got 3.5" And 1" dogleg shackles in the rear. I have the same problem but mine is caused by a tire that is too irregularly worn to be balanced.
Unread 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

And after all of mentioned above and you still have vibrations, you may need to consider a SYE.

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
RestoringDadsCJ
1946 CJ2A 

Welp

Welp guys, I removed the rear driveshaft to replace the ujoints, but first I took it out for a quick drive, and since the drive shaft was gone all the vibrations were gone, so at least I found the issue. I replaced the UJoints and reinstalled the drive shaft and it feels better but now the vibrations are around 25 to 27mph and 65mph. What next?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.