96 xj ho 6 4x4 starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 xj ho 6 4x4 starting problems

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
cchambless13

96 xj ho 6 4x4 starting problems

So here goes, key ignition switch snapped I had to hot wire it to get it home, then my gf had to drive to work next thing I know it's 4 months later before I break down and get the key switch problem is it was too late, I f ed it up by hard wiring it for so long. I got the new key In , guess what no start had burnt wires under the steering column fixed those, got voltage to all the things that need the voltage starter ASD ect , I checked coil replaced it bc low voltage was read, I got voltage, put it into the cap did t get it out replaced w new button and cap, still nothing. New battery to be sure still now no spark, I've read all the forums I think on this ASD, CPA, ECt I'm looking at a new distributor now. I've tried the alarm trick resetting the ecu, disconnecting and resetting the CPs, is there anything else that I'm missing ??? It's driving me nuts. I've checked tps, CPA, timing, rotor button moving, starter, 5volt reference on all the sensors so I think computer is still good, is there an easy way to test the ecu? I even loosened the screws to make sure they were the 1/4" screws not the 1/2" screws that sometimes cause issues.

So my to do list:
All new ASD style relays

Camshaft position sensor/stator/gen replacement

Check alternator( jic) for gen light

Crankshaft position sensor replacement

Computer

My ASD relay is clicking and fuel pump clicks w it along w all fuel Injectors
I'd say about every 3 seconds they click over and over again as if they r all resetting over and over again.

Let me know if anyone can help me please I'm n the charleston area and tight on funds

cchambless13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
cchambless13

Ok my gf just found something ! The camshaft position sensor after key on sends a signal to the e c u then goes to the ASD relay causing clicking if there is low voltage. That in turn will keep everything from working the crankshaft fuel Injectors spark fuel pump etc . So next on my list is the pickup that goes in the distributor. I looked at mine a few hours before and with the jeep having 207k miles on it it is worn down pretty bad. So that's next on the todo list and of course ASD relay lol. Thanks guys hopes this helps everybody
cchambless13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.