96 sport loose rocker arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 sport loose rocker arms

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
oldschool88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96 sport loose rocker arms

The jeep has 100k on it , oil changed on time , last change was 10w 30 rotella t5 with mopar filter. The jeep had a knocking at idle that slowly went away. Now its back. So today I removed the valve cover and all but 4-5 rockers moved, when moving them by hand it produced a knock or tic. They aren't terribly loose, but i dont think they should be as loose as there are.I loosened all of them and retorqed them back down. It helped quite a bit with the knocking but its still there. Should I replace all the rocker arm bridges ? I think that could be my problem. Other then that I'm stumped.

oldschool88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
oldschool88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The rockers are still loose after the being tightened, but not as loose as before.
Unread 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
oldschool88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

No one ?
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Some rocker arms WILL be loose when the engine is off. When there is no oil pressure, the hydraulic valve lifters will leak down, and result in some valve lash when the valve is in the closed position.

The knocking at idle can be a valve train noise or piston slap. The valve noise is more metallic. A dowel rod or stethoscope will help isolate which is which. If they are minor, neither noise is an indication of a serious issue.

Rocker arm bridges or associated pieces normally only need replacment when they show signs of wear due to dirt in the oil or oil starvation. The amount of gunk in the rocker cover area can be an indicator of wear or starvation, but rocker removal and inspection is the best way.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
oldschool88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Alright , cool.. Good to know.. I really appreciate the help.
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

After the engine has been sitting awhile and the lifters have bled down, there shouldn't be up & down (as in rock up & down) movement of the rocker (with the rocker set of the cylinder being checked at TDC compression stroke). This is zero lash. Side to side movement will be noticed, but shouldn't be real sloppy.

If there is noticeable up & down movement, remove the rocker set and inspect the wear between each rocker and its pivot. Excessive wear will cause up & down slop. If the wear is slight, the respective lifers may be worn or their cam lobes may be worn.

If only one rocker in a set exhibits excessive up & down movement, it may mean that lifter is worn and/or its cam lobe is worn.

Just a few things to be aware of....

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ken, I disagree. I lifter that is completely bled down (due to age wear) can collapse enough to create slop (lash) in the valve train when the valve is fully closed.

I DO agree that inspection of the rockers is prudent if there is any doubt about engine oil cleanliness and supply to the valve train.
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
Ken, I disagree.I lifter that is completely bled down (due to age wear) can collapse enough to create slop (lash) in the valve train when the valve is fully closed.

Agreed, if the lifter internal spring is shot it can be considered 'completely bled down', i.e, collaped. If the spring is still good and only the oil charge has bled down it may be still seviceable. What I was referring to was let the lifter bleed down to zero lash.

I DO agree that inspection of the rockers is prudent if there is any doubt about engine oil cleanliness and supply to the valve train.
The OP was looking into rocker movement issues.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
The OP was looking into rocker movement issues.
I understand and agree.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool88 View Post
The jeep has 100k on it , oil changed on time , last change was 10w 30 rotella t5 with mopar filter. The jeep had a knocking at idle that slowly went away. Now its back. So today I removed the valve cover and all but 4-5 rockers moved, when moving them by hand it produced a knock or tic. They aren't terribly loose, but i dont think they should be as loose as there are.

Could you explain this a little more clearly.

I loosened all of them and retorqed them back down. It helped quite a bit with the knocking but its still there. Should I replace all the rocker arm bridges? I think that could be my problem. Other then that I'm stumped.

Unread 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
oldschool88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

They had side to side movement, No up and down movement. It almost looks as if the rocker bridges are worn. Maybe ? It did seem to quiet the knocking I had before at idle.
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool88 View Post
They had side to side movement, No up and down movement. It almost looks as if the rocker bridges are worn. Maybe ? It did seem to quiet the knocking I had before at idle.
It's easy to twist the bridges when loosening up the rocker bolts or when tightening them down.

If they are twisted they can be straightened out (if not dicked up too bad). If they can't be straightened buy new ones.

It might be a good idea to remove the rocker sets and see how worn the rockers and their respective pivots are. Rocker sets (rockers, pivots, and bridges) can be purchased. Elgin makes good sets.

When installing rockers, oil the bottom of the capscrews so they won't drag when tightening them down. Turn them down slowly, a bit at a time, until they bottom, then torque them to 21 foot pounds.

Last edited by CCKen; 01-21-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: foot pounds not inch pounds :-)
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
oldschool88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Okay , thanks for the info. I will be ordering new rockers and bridges soon. I will update this thread when I'm completed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.