96 Perrywinkle build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 Perrywinkle build thread

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96 Perrywinkle build thread

figure id start one to keep track of the upgrade/fixes ive done. background on this rig. 1996 XJ sport. aw4, 231 t-case,hp dana 30 front, 8.25 rear, bought for $3000 and it was MINT. no rust or oil whatsoever. bought it so i can drive all my stuff from school in FL. from the day i took it home and the first mod. good ol clear corners and delete of red side trim.

wheeled it with my buddys 2000 tj (RIP) and got them duurrrty

weeks later, BAM this happened. like a soda can ripped in half, twisted and snapped driveshaft, cracked bellhousing, and $2000 later

that sucked.
fast forward, drove home after graduation. suspension is shot. so wat does this genius do? fix suspension? nah, get bigger meats! wheels, soft 8s

whoo! look at that carpet, and no it doesnt match the curtains.
then the 30x9.5x15 ATs

of course it turned it into a 2 seater cause i couldnt carry anyone else in the heep without the tires rubbing. half a year later. teraflex 2" BB and Quadratec HD leaf packs.

air tools, breaker bars and beer are needed. before the lift, uugghh look at that sag.

after the lift, yowza!

my build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...thread-634491/

Last edited by T4STE; 01-13-2010 at 07:02 AM..
T4STE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

how did you snap the ds and crack the housing? haha...i didnt know that would be that easy on a stock rig
jackdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i skipped a step. i forgot that i threw on lights up top b4 the lift. here they are.

switch for the roof lights.

then i got bored and painted the steering links and diff covers and control arms. then i got a hold of some sway bar discos. 4wd hardware i believe. they were for 4" lift so i cut them in half and had my gf drilled at her work. here they are installed.

snazzy i think. then i replaced the rear shocks with skyjacker hydros (for lifts 0-3")

they ride nice. then it was time to start checking off some requirements for my jeep club. fire extinguisher

front and rear hitches

cb radio and a 4ft antenna. i also made a homebrew ipod mount.

i got a mopar roof tire carrier and mounted my hi-lift jack on there with exhaust clamps. i actually just sold the tire carrier. but i had no problems with it.

my build
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

looks really good so far, so how much in mods have u done?? curious because all of those are very similar to what i wanna do
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

few months ago, my 8.25 started howling and wanted to fix it. since it would be cheaper to swap axles than to rebuild, shopping for a new rear began. a club member had a dana 44 from an xj so i had to jump on it. it was in great shape inside. no teeth missing and all was well. changed fluids and brakes and swapped it in. i broke a rear hardline when swapping the lines. fixed that and installed a yj line so that its extended already for when i go bigger.

to protect that new asset, i got a Rock-it 44 diff glider. this unit bolts up in 5 mins. it literally took longer for me to get my tools out. i will change over to a HD diff cover the next time i change the fluid in the diff.

another club member was sellin new 31x10.5x15 for cheap! had to snag it. so this is how she sits as of today minus the roof tire carrier.

future plans are AJ super rails, DPG belly skid, Tomken rear bumper and swing out tire carrier, front shocks to match the rear, V8 ZJ coils to level it out, surco rack to hold hi-lift, maybe 4.10s. o and i photochopped this as an idea, ill probably do it with black vynil sheets so that its not totally permanent. but its just an idea im playin with LOL.

thanks for viewing, more to come

my build
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdup View Post
how did you snap the ds and crack the housing? haha...i didnt know that would be that easy on a stock rig
lol funny enough i wish i did it on the trail, apparently there was nothing in the x-case and tranny but muddy water(i burried the jeep twice in mud b4 this happened). me and a few friends were driving and i had 2 people in the front and someone hit the shifter into neutral and as i put it back into drive, my foot was still on the skinny pedal....ccrrkkkkggg bbaaaggghhhkkk!!!!! i know its lame. lesson learned

my build
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking great, T4STE! Except you have much less body carnage and many more lights than I do. Go Perrywinkle!

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajxj9197 View Post
looks really good so far, so how much in mods have u done?? curious because all of those are very similar to what i wanna do
with the money ive spent repairing some things (cooling system, two front bumpers, rear brakes 8.25 and d44, etc) i woulda been ahead with the mods. but still, things break and they have to get fixed. id say im well over $2000 more or less in mods thats without the repairs. you can definitely build it on a budget, it just takes time in looking for good deals and figuring out which parts you WANT to buy used and which parts you NEED to buy new.

my build
Unread 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

update.

yesterday, i got to put on my ZJ v8 coils up front and matching skyjacker hydro shocks up front. sits fairly level now and rides great. pics after i get out of work today. next up is more armor for the front diff and the tcase. then front bumper and rockrails.

my build
Unread 11-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

kinda looks like the jeeps from jurassic park. except blue. looks nice where you from in nj. im on the shore
Unread 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
groovyone
1998 XJ Cl***ic

Nice evolution. I like the top lights. Dumb question, but when you ran the roof lights, how did you run the wiring?
Unread 11-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
crcashman

Did you wind up using the shackles or AAL from your 2" BB? Or did you just use the HD leafs to get the 2"?
crcashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It looks like he has extended shackles on top of the new leaf springs.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the feedback guys. without this forums help, none of this would be possible. to answer some questions.

im from northjersey in West Paterson.

for the wires on the top lights, i went thru the door jambs and along the inside trim.

for the lift, i used the teraflex shackle on the quadratec HD leafs. the 7"arch to be exact.

and i wish this was a jeep for jurassic park lol

my build
Unread 11-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you getting any tire rub at full lock?

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.