'96 Jeep Cherokee: Need Opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '96 Jeep Cherokee: Need Opinions

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
mkpopcorn

'96 Jeep Cherokee: Need Opinions

So, my boyfriend bought a '96 Cherokee (XJ) SE, for way too much, like around $3,000. It broke down and he has put another $2,500 in it and totally rebuilt the engine and did a lot of after market work on it. He has and will do all the labor himself, he refuses to pay for labor. Now, he finds out that the motor needs to be taken back out and fixed again and is looking at another $700. I said he should just sell it and wipe his hands clean, he says he won't make enough.

Firstly, what is your guys' opinion on what he should do? Secondly, how much do you think he could make parting it versus just the whole car as is?

Thanks for your guys' opinions!

mkpopcorn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You want my opinion? Ok…

Shut the hell up. You’re not his wife. You’re not paying for the repairs. It’s absolutely none of your business what he does with his Jeep or his money. I know your type well… first it’s “Sell the Jeep because it’s costing too much money.” Then it’s “No, you can’t go spend the weekend with your buddies because I need you to take me shopping.” Then it’s “Oh gee, honey… I’m pregnant. Gosh, I have no idea how that happened.”

You’re a DreamKiller. You kill a guy’s dreams, take away his future, tie him down with a fat mortgage and too many babies, and turn him into just another miserable guy wondering, “How the hell did I get here?”

Do you really want to help him? Here’s what you do… go to your local library (it’s a big building with books inside) and check out a couple of books on rebuilding engines. Read them, over and over, until YOU understand what needs to be done. Then help him get that engine out and rebuild it. Tie your hair back in a ponytail, put on some old jeans and get your hands dirty. Hand him wrenches, hold the light, pull the wire connectors apart, help him get the hood off… help him with anything he needs. When he gets tired, run inside and make him a hot lunch or dinner. Fix him coffee, hot chocolate, whatever he wants. (But NO beer. Beer is for when the job is done.)

Then when the day is over and you’re both exhausted from working on the engine, push him into a hot shower and jump in with him. Scrub his back, wash his hair, rinse him off, and dry him with fluffy towels still hot from the dryer. Then push him into bed and screw his ears off. Then get up the next day and do it all over again.

Make him realize that rebuilding an engine is a slow and methodical process. Make him realize that every step should be regarded as surgery; every step must be perfect… perfect torque, perfect fit, perfectly clean. If you run into a step that you just can’t figure out, ask for help from someone who knows what he’s doing. Are you cute? Put on a low-cut top, show some cleavage and go (by yourself) to the local Jeep shop, and explain to the guys that you are helping your boyfriend to rebuild his engine and neither of you can figure out this one little step, and do they have any advice…

Think it won’t work? Think again. We guys love to help cute girls, even if they have a boyfriend. (Hey, maybe you’ve got a sister, or girlfriend…)

But absolutely DO NOT whine or complain. Do not say a single negative thing. Not a single “Oooooo, I broke a nail.” If you break a nail, or cut your finger, or bang a knuckle, you just shut up and DEAL WITH IT. You should be a hopelessly optomistic, never-say-die cheerleader, encouraging him every step of the way.

That’s my opinion.
wgirvine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
jeepski89
1996 XJ Cherokee 

^^^ You could write a book, and ifs its a money hole take it off some jumps and buy a new one there a dime a dozen.
jeepski89 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
You want my opinion? Ok…

Shut the hell up. You’re not his wife. You’re not paying for the repairs. It’s absolutely none of your business what he does with his Jeep or his money. I know your type well… first it’s “Sell the Jeep because it’s costing too much money.” Then it’s “No, you can’t go spend the weekend with your buddies because I need you to take me shopping.” Then it’s “Oh gee, honey… I’m pregnant. Gosh, I have no idea how that happened.”

You’re a DreamKiller. You kill a guy’s dreams, take away his future, tie him down with a fat mortgage and too many babies, and turn him into just another miserable guy wondering, “How the hell did I get here?”

Do you really want to help him? Here’s what you do… go to your local library (it’s a big building with books inside) and check out a couple of books on rebuilding engines. Read them, over and over, until YOU understand what needs to be done. Then help him get that engine out and rebuild it. Tie your hair back in a ponytail, put on some old jeans and get your hands dirty. Hand him wrenches, hold the light, pull the wire connectors apart, help him get the hood off… help him with anything he needs. When he gets tired, run inside and make him a hot lunch or dinner. Fix him coffee, hot chocolate, whatever he wants. (But NO beer. Beer is for when the job is done.)

Then when the day is over and you’re both exhausted from working on the engine, push him into a hot shower and jump in with him. Scrub his back, wash his hair, rinse him off, and dry him with fluffy towels still hot from the dryer. Then push him into bed and screw his ears off. Then get up the next day and do it all over again.

Make him realize that rebuilding an engine is a slow and methodical process. Make him realize that every step should be regarded as surgery; every step must be perfect… perfect torque, perfect fit, perfectly clean. If you run into a step that you just can’t figure out, ask for help from someone who knows what he’s doing. Are you cute? Put on a low-cut top, show some cleavage and go (by yourself) to the local Jeep shop, and explain to the guys that you are helping your boyfriend to rebuild his engine and neither of you can figure out this one little step, and do they have any advice…

Think it won’t work? Think again. We guys love to help cute girls, even if they have a boyfriend. (Hey, maybe you’ve got a sister, or girlfriend…)

But absolutely DO NOT whine or complain. Do not say a single negative thing. Not a single “Oooooo, I broke a nail.” If you break a nail, or cut your finger, or bang a knuckle, you just shut up and DEAL WITH IT. You should be a hopelessly optomistic, never-say-die cheerleader, encouraging him every step of the way.

That’s my opinion.
Lol im not really even sure what to saw to this except for wow.

but from the sounds of it hes in to deep to back out of it now.
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Evoluvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
You want my opinion? Ok…

That’s my opinion.

LOL i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Night Crew #357
Evoluvin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I had to LOL
But I do agree that it's not really up to you as a GF. Either love him and support or at least tolerate the jeep endeavors, or find another BF with perspectives more in line with your own.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
jkylshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

make him a sammich.
Unread 01-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
Mikeand
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hes already deep in it. Might as well fix it. He wouldnt get near 3k for parting it out.
1996 Cherokee Sport -4.6L Stroker, TB Spacer, Cold Air Intake, APN Header - D30 front / 8.25 Rear -RC 3" Lift -Dakota Leaf Pack -Rough Country Discos / -31" General Grabber A/T2s on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s -Diamond plate rear quarter panels -Front bumper with hoop - IRO Double shear Track Bar and HD tie rod -Homemade light bar
Mikeand is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

subscribed to this one............
tjwalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
96upcountry
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I needed this to start my day. Goes well with coffee by the woodstove.
96upcountry is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
keith-i
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Great post wgirvine. Anyway, who said mkpopcorn was a 'she'
keith-i is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith-i View Post
Great post wgirvine. Anyway, who said mkpopcorn was a 'she'
lol oh my...
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpopcorn View Post
So, my boyfriend bought a '96 Cherokee (XJ) SE, for way too much, like around $3,000. It broke down and he has put another $2,500 in it and totally rebuilt the engine and did a lot of after market work on it. He has and will do all the labor himself, he refuses to pay for labor. Now, he finds out that the motor needs to be taken back out and fixed again and is looking at another $700. I said he should just sell it and wipe his hands clean, he says he won't make enough.

Firstly, what is your guys' opinion on what he should do? Secondly, how much do you think he could make parting it versus just the whole car as is?

Thanks for your guys' opinions!
My experience with parting out a Cherokee, was that people were only after small parts. It drove me crazy. Also, there is a lot of time to pull the part, then package it, then ship it.
I don't know the condition of said vehicle when he bought it. That is body wise and mechanical wise. Also, what milage? Low mialge Cherokees, around a 100K, bring $3K to $4K.
Now broken ones or poor condition ones, don't bring that much. I think your BF is stuck either putting the money into it, or dumping it at pennys on the dollar. Also, you don't mention what the $2500 was spent on. Was it replacement parts, or lifts and accesories? There is a big difference there.
If he purchased a Cherokke in good shape and low miles, then probably a fair price. Then he lifts it, etc. Then if he is offraoding it, then you can't complain if things break.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
meofouse
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Best opin I've seen in my 65 yrs!!
meofouse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
unkajeffy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The BF is probably gonna need a new computer after He/She/It reads that!!! Pretty good advice though, ya gotta love a greasy chick holding a wrench

wgirvine, WE ARE NOT WORTHY!
unkajeffy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.