96 Cherokee Starting Problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 Cherokee Starting Problems...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
DantheMan72
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

96 Cherokee Starting Problems...

He's an odd one...My jeep is having problems starting in a reliable manner. It will start up and go some where, but if I stop somewhere and turn it off, come back, it won't start back up, BUT if I wait 30 to 45 minutes, it starts up fine.

It does this constantly, go, stop. Nothing. Wait, go...fine. The weird thing is, I can get at least one shut off before it refuses to start up again. Like when I'm getting gas, but if do anything like go to the grocery store, it won't start when I'm ready to leave.

The problem is, when it won't start, all I do is wait 30-45 minutes and it starts up fine. What gives?

I have replaced the cam & crank sensors recently.

I'm a new guy here so sorry for the rambling, just trying to make my problem as clear as possible and hopefully find a cure for as little as possible.

DantheMan72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

When your Jeep won’t start :

1) Do all the gauges display correctly when it is not starting, or does the fuel gauge and/or voltage gauge not work at all, or not display properly ?
2) Have you tried wiggling the automatic transmission shift lever when you try to start, in both PARK and NEUTRAL ?
3) When you turn the key does nothing happen, and you hear no sounds ?
4) Does the starter not engage, and you only hear a clicking sound from under the hood ?
5) Does the starter engage, make the starter sound, and cause the engine to turn ?
6) Does the engine sputter and try to run, or does it not run at all ?

Answer yes/no to all.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
DantheMan72
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

I've not noticed anything funky with the gauges, but will now take notice when it happens again.

Have not but will try the wiggling.

As for the rest, there is [I]nothing unusual; the only unusal thing is the not starting.

I will give some of these a try the next time it acts up.
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Describe the no-start in common terms. Do you mean you turn the key and absolutely nothing happens ? No beeping or flashing lights on the instrument panel and the starter makes no noises at all ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
DantheMan72
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

Ok...when i turn the key, it makes the usual sounds of turning over; gauges and lights are all normal, just not sparking, i.e. starting.
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantheMan72 View Post
Ok...when i turn the key, it makes the usual sounds of turning over; gauges and lights are all normal, just not sparking, i.e. starting.
This is most commonly caused by a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) on the transmission bell housing. The fault may be in the sensor itself, in the sensor connector/wires, or in the circuit shared by the other sensors.

Naturally all your tune-up parts should be new within the last 30,000 miles.

Cheap sensors from Advance/IdiotZone/PepBoys have been failed or out of specification right out of the box. I suggest testing the CPS and inspecting its wires. Genuine Jeep and NAPA have proven to be the best quality parts for sensor replacements.

CPS Testing

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector (CPS/CKP)

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

Unread 08-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
DantheMan72
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

WOW! thanks! I just replaced the blasted thing, but it didn't cost me anything so I guess it's no biggie.

THANKS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.